Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Walleye help!

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Wanna fish for walleye but don't know what size and color and style spoons work best, also how to work in what depth water is most productive?
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Depending on the lake, vibes, pulse, Swedish pimples, and my go to jiggin raps. I would get a map of the lake you want to fish find, points, drop offs, and humps. Morning and late afternoon try shallow 8 to 12fow, move deeper during the mid day. Drill a lot of holes and move around from deep to shallow. I try to set up tip ups in different depths to help me figure out where they are. Hope this helps and good luck, can't wait to see some pics.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

toadfish

• View Profile
I am not familiar with any of the lakes you fish, but I generally like #5 jigging raps in blue, chartruse, orange, fire tiger.  About 1/4 ounce for spoons in the same colors unless the water you are fishing is clear then I try to match the hatch with either shad or minnow colors.  Lake Erie may call for heavier jigs/spoons if the current is strong.

Walleye can be located nearly anywhere but drop-offs, points, humps, saddle areas or neck-down areas are always good to check.  Weed beds can also be productive at times.

Best of luck locating and catching some active fish.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I like to fish roadbeds. The above posts mentioned good times/depths. That's why I like roadbeds, they'll come up on top in low light, then slide off the deeper sides during midday. They have a good hard bottom also. They're a perfect walleye holding spot.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Thanks guys, I have a bunch of those lures you listed, I just always second guess the sizes of them being too big or too small of a profile and end up changing lures every five minutes
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
If I mark 3 fish with out a hit then I change to a different color , or size, or lure all together. If you change to quick you might have taken off the lure they want and not even know it.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Vexilar