Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice reporting

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
We all know there is no such thing as safe ice and we all are responsible for our own safety when it comes to walking out on the ice, with that being said, this site was and is here to help others enjoy the sport and make it fun or more fun for all. The range of ages that look at these post is from young kids to senior citizens. They come in here to get ice reports, fishing reports and look for other people to go out on the ice with. So keep this in mind when you're posting info, I know most people post more accurate than others and some report " hot areas" to get people to fish in the wrong places, that's fishing, but when it comes to giving ice thickness, let's be as close to accurate as we can or just don't report it at all. Remember, some people drive several hours just to fish and they might even have their kids with them and if someone post there is 4-5 inches in a certain area of the lake and we only have 1-3 spotty ice , someone could get hurt. This topic comes up every year and with the popularity of ice fishing growing at a very rapid pace, ice safety and reporting becomes the number 1 concern. Be safe, hope we get at least a few weeks in, if not, I'm thinking about heading NW to ice fish

Numb fingers

• View Profile
this is so true. Just yesterday was told buy what I thought was reliable sources that there was 4 to 5 inched of ice at clr well I spuded my way out and all I could find was 3 to 3.5 any where I drilled. did not have any trouble and did catch fish. what if it was a newbie ? going on this info ? scares me to think about it.  sorry rant over. 

quackpot

• View Profile
I totally agree with you to many people drive a long distance to fish different lakes. I only live 45 minutes from Indian so I don't mind the drive, but talked with a guy yesterday on Indian that drives from Cincinnati. I informed him about to site so he could know conditions before the drive.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Me too!  Accurate reports are essential. I think a lot of the time people don't measure and just guess. They're not trying to mislead, just overestimate what they're seeing. But you are all correct, if a newbie, and there are a lot more venturing out on the ice lately, goes out he could get himself into trouble before he even knows it. It's vital to be accurate as possible and always check your own ice.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Numb fingers

• View Profile
kid you not 3 years ago lansinger rd 20 inches of ice.  a family comes from across the lake trail side. I'm talking mom. 6 year old , dad with a 3 or 4 moth old in a back pack type thing and come up to my buddies and I and asked how thick is the ice? I was kinda rude in informing them how ignorant for what they had just done but damn, they literally had no Idea. granted it was 20 inches or so but they seen us and assumed it was safe.  see stuff all the time no safety gear, just an assumption that it must be safe cause he is out fishing.. wow 

Gregory79

• View Profile
How thick is consider safe ice?  Three inches?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
This is a touchy subject and one that some of our safety speakers on the pro staff can help us with. What could be fishable ice for one person might not work for another. There are alot of factors that come into play like your weight,gear and environmental factors to. It's best to spud your way each time you venture out or move spot to spot. You can have 4" where your standing and ten feet away may only be 1", I saw this today on nimisila reservoir. Each person must check for themselves and decide if they want to chance it.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Depends on weight.  And good clear ice is way better than white ice. That's the reason a spud bar is so important.  There is great info in the ice safety section of this site.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
the basic 4" of clear is base line for the chart
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Downthehole

• View Profile

I won't go out on anything less than 5" unless I'm with a group that are more experienced than me. I carry some weight so 5" is a safer thickness for me....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i usually wait for 4  , between my 186 lb  butt and my sled with gas drill at 50lbs. 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Evinrude58

• View Profile
I take ice safety seriously so I carry a tape measure and  use it to measure the ice before I will report how thick it is or I will say something like it is an estimate. As an example yesterday I reported on my trip to CLR and forgot to measure so when I posted I gave an estimate of what I thought it was but I said exactly that. I never take any thickness as gospel as I don't know if the person giving it actually measured or is giving their best guess. But as Nate said we seen some very sudden changes in ice thickness today.

g

• View Profile
Good post wapak. I appreciate people posting accurate ice reports. The fishing reports are great too but I rely on the ice reports since I live over an hour away from central Oh. lakes. Makes it easier to make a decision where to go. Don't count onall the ice being a uniform thickness, too many variables can come into play. Use the reports as a guideline but it is ultimately each persons responsibility to check the ice and decide if they want to venture out and fish. Be safe and hopefully responsible.

Vexilar