Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Thoughts on propane power augers

PKAuD · 20 · 12391

PKAuD

• View Profile
Looking ahead to next season and i'm going to invest in a power auger. Gas vs. Propane, that is the question. Anyone running one of the propane machines? I'd like to hear anyone's input on them.

Thanks.

quackpot

• View Profile
I'm going to look into a propane auger also. I've heard nothing but good things. I to stay as light as possible.

Fishin 2

• View Profile
Jiffy model pro 4 9", got mine this year and love the no gas smell, was out last week, -10 actual temp, fired right up. Sure makes some ice fly, a little sluggish at the bottom of hole till it gets warmed up but then look out. As far as weight, mine weighs 36 lbs on a bathroom scale, little heavy but theres no pushing down.Will never go back to gas for sure.
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

PKAuD

• View Profile
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I really like jiffys, their gas models eat ice like no other.

Fishin 2

• View Profile
The only drawback to the pro 4 models is you must haul, store it with the plug up, otherwise it will allow crankcase oil into the carb. The pro 4 LITE models however, you can lay any way you want. I cut a milkcrate at a corner down a ways to accommodate the auger bit but it will set, plug up in my frabill magnum when being transported. Need to make a new carrier for my atv and snowmobile . It has a high profile when hauling due to the plug up  restriction.

CrapPie

• View Profile
Jiffys are $499 and weigh approx 39lbs, eskimos are $399 and weigh approx 32lbs. Jiffys are higher geared and "APPEAR" to go faster,but run on 1 blade.Witch means the auger has to turn a full 360degrees to complete a cutting turn. The Eskimos "APPEAR" to run alot slower but they cut with two blades witch is why they are geared lower.They complete a cutting turn every 180degrees..With that said they both cut at an equal pace.So dont let the water flinging jiffy fool ya at its high speed..However i prefer either over a gas machine cause   theres less carb issues,fumes and who wants to smell gas if you overspill or spring aleak. One little propane bottle can keep ya warm in your heater and drill your holes and are cheap n easy to refill...SO,im suggesting an eskimo propane due to cheaper price and lighter wieght but i might just be a weak tighta$$ haha? Hope this helps.

wannafish

• View Profile
i just bought the eskimo and will get to take it out for the first time today i got mine on amazon for $407 with free shipping it seems nice fires up easy and over all pretty light i went with the eskimo because i can resharpen the blades myself and eskimo built the motor special to run on propane i heard the eskimo cuts 5 holes to the jiffys 3 if its true or not i don't know but i will re-post after i get to run mine today and let you know how i like it

wannafish

• View Profile
took my eskimo out today it was a little hard starting at maybe 5 pulls but i dont disconnect the tank and bring in the shanty to keep it warm...overall i was really happy seems to have plenty of power and i was drilling through 16-18 inches of ice

Fishin 2

• View Profile
Jiffy Pro Propane Ice Auger vs. Eskimo Mako

Jiffy vs. eskimo, hmmm

CrapPie

• View Profile
Im not sure what this video proves, thats a gas eskimo,propane jiffy. Poorguy with the jiffy gets wet feet.I bet he wished he bought a Eskimo HC40 propane after he sat down to fish.Wonder if both had new or sharp blades? Hillbillly youtube comparison videos can be so misleading.. I want to race this guy(20holes) with my Eskimo propanehc40 and compare clothes dryness,deafness and a back pain test afterwords. I win! And have an extra 100 bucks in my pocket!

Fishin 2

• View Profile
Well, if ya like gas smell on your hands and on your stuff, guess gas is for you, me I like propane, seems you can use whatever you or your budget dictates but you asked , They showed ya, jiffy will make the ice fly, I'm done, have a good day, sorry fella's, just can't please em all.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I have a gas lazer mag lite with the Tecumseh engine before they changed over to Honda.  I bought it new 5-6 years ago.  Runs like a champ.  Been thinking of converting an old weed wacker engine over to propane and mount my hand auger to the arbor to give it a try.  That way I will have one for those lakes that do not allow gasoline.  There are conversion videos on you tube.  Doesn't look to hard.  I figure if a cordless drill can punch holes a weed wackier engine should be fine. Don't know for sure tho.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Ran the Jiffy Pro4 and the Jiffy Pro4 lite. Both are awesome augers. Propane is the way to go. My 2 cents  8)
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

PKAuD

• View Profile

Vexilar