Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vexilar

Ysudep2 · 28 · 14266

Ysudep2

• View Profile
Can't someone point me in the right direction as to which model to get? We will mainly be fishing erie for eyes.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I use the budget model vex for everything and don't really see the need for the extra features many of the expensive ones have. I like the Humminbird ICE 35 and the vex 8 or 12. As long as you have zoom that is really the only feature I use at times. I believe the HB's have bigger screens and are easier to see? They also make a lil more noise but no biggie to me.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I use the budget model vex for everything and don't really see the need for the extra features many of the expensive ones have. I like the Humminbird ICE 35 and the vex 8 or 12. As long as you have zoom that is really the only feature I use at times. I believe the HB's have bigger screens and are easier to see? They also make a lil more noise but no biggie to me.

I completely agree! Ive tested almost every one and the differences will not catch you fish. I like the Marcum(s) for durability reasons I have an LX-3 but the VX-1 worked just as well,only easier to set.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I agree.  They are all good.  Get what ever your budget allows and watch and watch and watch it until you learn how it reacts to different things.  Fish outside of the cone or laying on bottom, weeds flickering in the current, etc.....Once you spend time with it, you will wonder how you did without. 
Tight lines. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
They will all work, but I have 2. A vex 18 and 28. The 28 is incredible with target separation. I can tell if a fish sucked the maggot off my lure in 40 feet of water by looking at the screen.  That said, the other units will catch just as many fish I think, just have a smaller target separation.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Vexilar FL-8 if your on a budget. If you have no budget get the FLX-28.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

fishingful

• View Profile
I have an 8 and think I am going to upgrade to a 28 or a marcum

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I have the fl 18 and loved it, but I was on the ice and a guy was using a Lowrance Elite 4,  I just ordered 1 and still waiting to get it, looks like most ice gear is back ordered  >:(.  The only down fall I've found with the vex is if you are in shallow weed beds you can have a tough time with the gain,  seeing your jig and pads , but with practice you will figure out how to use it right. And at times if fish are hugging the bottom hard, you might not see them real good with the vex, but like I said , with practice you will learn what the flasher is showing. If you get the vex make sure you get the magnifier for the screen, it keeps snow and water from freezing at the bottom of the flasher.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's what I like about the FLX-28. It has a weed mode that works really, really well and can mark fish sitting on the bottom. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Dawg your not kidding.  I have an 18 and every year I kick myself for not grabbing the shield.  That lip fills up with water and snow like crazy. 

I would like to see the 28 with the weed seep ration.  That sounds really cool.   I fiddle with my gain but just accept it as is. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The weed mode is a huge help. I thought it would be gimmicky and unreliable, but it works amazing on the big flats at Nimi. I got the unit for the separation and hi resolution 5 color screen, but weed mode really works.

Team Wilcraft!

Saw guy

• View Profile
I have the vex 28 and agree with all that has been said. However, if the budget is an issue, the fl18 is a great unit. Reed's will run some pretty good sales, and cabellas often has $50 coupons for purchases over $500.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
weed mode   eh?     I got some funny thoughts here... 8) 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

toadfish

• View Profile
The Vexilar FL-12, FL-20 and FLX-28 all have the flat panel face, eliminating the lips that fills with water/snow.

I made a poor-mans shield for my old FL-8, saran wrap and a rubber band does wonders for keeping junk out of the display area.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:54:21 AM by toadfish »
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

CrapPie

• View Profile
Ive been researching all the many models of vexes myself.Can someone tell me the diff between a 12deg ice transducer and a 19deg ice transducer? I know its 7deg difference(haha) but whats the big deal.Whats it mean or do? Whats better?

Vexilar