Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Selective harvest

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
 Just read a great article in my new IN FISHERMAN magazine I received  today on bluegill harvest and the effects it has on the population.  I know this had been a hot topic and I recommend  this article for all to read.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

g

• View Profile
I know when keeping gills, it is better to release the the bulls and keep the 7 to 8 in fish to perpetuate the species. I see too many people keep too many fish, just my opinion. It's up to each person how many fish they keep. When I keep panfish, I keep enough for a meal and release the rest.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Good point G,the article addresses over harvest of gills of all sizes regards of the harvest limits set by the dnr. Due to the extreme fishing pressure there is a delicate balance and each fisherman must set his/her own limits on what they will consume to protect the population.
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Minnowhead

• View Profile
In respect to bluegills/redears, what harvest limits could be put on them? On a reservoir, I can't imagine putting anything but a creel limit. I would think the majority of people don't get a bucket full of 9-10" gills. In fact most just get a few that size and end up actually catching 6-7" fish. I think both a size limit and quantity limit during bedding season would help along with introducing predators would turn a Resevoir into a big bull gill fishery. Any thoughts?
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
weeds  ;D    fish need weeds
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Weeds definitely help!  Selective harvest does also, but educating anglers will help most. Nimi has really declined late, I know less weeds, but the last 3 winters I've seen buckets and buckets full of 8-10" gills being pulled out. A fishery can't sustain that for very long. Now it's a pencil perch factory. I saw that article too and thought thank you!!  Seems very few think about or care about bluegills until the big ones dry up. We need to actively work towards conserving one of our favorite fish!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
It all starts with us, each angler must take it upon themselves to set their own harvest limits based upon their needs. And that goes for all species,only harvesting what we plan to consume for us and our families. Garden fertilizer is not an acceptable harvest our lakes can't sustain that type of pressure .
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I  gave up gill fishing for the big pond years ago but I know its not like it used to be, once upon a time gills commonly wouldn't hardly fit in your hand but now ...not so much. the in land lakes really get beat,  :P   and the perch in nimi are plenty so I hope the cormorants don't decide to turn the lake into crap because they love perch,
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I hope the cormorants don't decide to turn the lake into crap because they love perch,

Literally!! :P
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I think the quality of the bluegill is better when predators are in the equation. Be it Mortherns or giant flatheads. It seems the over run of stunted gills, perch etc. is definitely in check when they are present. Good deep water access weed beds are a huge factor as well. My 2 cents...
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

Vexilar