Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fly Reels

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I have been messing around with these new Frabill fly reels for the past week and think they will be good as gold.  I had my kids on closed faced reels but these fly reels are easier to handle and let the lure out on.  Plus no spin on the jig and no memory on the line.  Lets see how they work.  Of course I just ordered two more.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I love using fly reels for panfish. I started using them 2 years ago and in my opinion they are the best way to go. I have used all different types of inline reels but the frabill is my favorite. The clam genz fly reel is a close second. I have the frabill from last season and this season models and prefer the gray model from 2 seasons ago. They are more heavy duty and better drags but this seasons model is not to bad just a cheaper feel to it.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I think your right these may be the ringers for panfish fishing.  I just have to get used to them and look at the money I save by not respooling every two times out on a spin reel.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Curtis937

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • CPR catfish
I have been messing around with these new Frabill fly reels for the past week and think they will be good as gold.  I had my kids on closed faced reels but these fly reels are easier to handle and let the lure out on.  Plus no spin on the jig and no memory on the line.  Lets see how they work.  Of course I just ordered two more.

which of the the models did you get the 101 or the 241? im thinking about getting one to try out...
CPRCatfish.com

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I got the 101 but they are selling out like crazy
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I was able to check out the frabil, clam and the black Betty.  All of them seemed to be pretty nice, however I felt the frabil fell a little short when it came to comfort.  I thought it might be a little tough to get a good grip with the reel sitting right up against the handle.  For me the black Betty and the clam are the way to go.  I really like the extended foot on the reels, they give me more room to get a grip.  The black Betty also has an all aluminum reel, which I kinda dig.  But like I said, all of them seemed really nice.  My eye is on that black Betty, I hope my wife has taken my hints this Christmas.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I heard the Black Betty is the cats pajamas but it is like 20 more a reel so i went Frabill.  When I hit the lotto i may switch to the Black Betty
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I thought the frabil was $80?  I think the clam is $40.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
The other thing I did was put the reel way up on the front of the cork of the rod so i have room behind it.  Problem was i had to buy about six of them and Black Betty would be alot extra in cost.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
The Frabill 101 was like $29.00 from my buddy Steve in Minnesota.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Ahh, I was checking out the 241.  I didn't realize there was a lower model.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I'm happy with it.  Want to see how it does when I get a fish on went with 24 inch light Jason Mitchell rods.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm going to try it too this year.  I have several smaller Orvis fly reels, one of which currently has no fly line.  I'm going to spool it up with 1 pound ice line and try it on my 24" Jason Mitchell panfish rod and see how it works for bluegill and crappies.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar