Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Area east of Catawba

xtown icer

• View Profile
I haven't fished this area of the lake before. My experience is mostly the Breast Bay area. I never hear of anyone fishing the area east of the Cat. possibly middle harbor reef ,Marblehead Kelly's. Is the ice over there bad, no fish or what? I would think those area would be good if the ice is good. This year I would think the ice would be good. Any Info?

threeten

• View Profile
notoriously a bad area for ice. plus the airboats servicing the islands run through there. nothing to lock the ice in on that side either!
several people and quads have gone in already this year.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Totally agree.....One day ice will be there next it will be undercut, even in weather like this. Plenty of "good" areas to fish west of there that are much safer.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

xtown icer

• View Profile
Knew there must be some good reason. My buddy and I are planning a trip up from the Dayton area later in the month. He has a 4x4 quad and I have all the gear. I see everyone talking about Crane. Where does everyone park to go out of that area and is there a trail marked? Should I just follow the tracks of others? What size raps have been working. I have a pretty good selection but might be kindof short on the larger ones.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Hey guys can anyone help me out its my bday weekend and I would love to ice some nice perch or walleye thinking either erie or st Clair but dont know much about either need lodging and some help in the right direction not your honey holes,for erie how do I get out to fish those islands, thanks any infi will help
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

xtown icer

• View Profile
Trying to find out about Erie myself. At St Clair ( I lived there for several years) I always liked the area near 8 mile. That area has much closer access to the deep water. The area near Ford's cove is good. Nice reef out front that is walkable. Go strait out from the big tower past the second Buoy. If the weather is bad there is a lot of canals and channels around the marinas to kill some nice pannies. My largest gill ever came out of Ford's cove 13.5 inch 1.25 pound monster.

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
There is parking lot at Crane Creek state park. Trail will be easy to follow, hundreds of guys been going out. I stay at the sleep inn in Port Clinton just up road from Catawba state park. Id guess Crane is 20 mile west from there. There may be some place to stay in between Crane and Catawba. Sleep in is also close to Rickards bait shop. Just get to either parking lot early on weekends and you will be able to follow the masses out. Lots get full early.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Thanks guys gonna make some phone calls now!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar