Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Newby advice Catawba or Crane

xtown icer

• View Profile
I'm going to try and come up this next weekend. I haven't fished the big water in 20 years. I have 4X4 quad and all the gear and a nice tow sled. Which location would be best for someone first time out as far as safety, finding fish and general good time? Are chains required or just nice? Where do people park at Crane? Looks like the weather is going to cooperate with colder temp this week and next. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
There is a parking lot at Crane where everyone parks. Chains are a must 90% of the time but depends on the amount of snow on the ice. I havent been out of Crane this year as we have been doing good out from Catawba.  There will be hundreds going out at both places this weekend. Stay away from the pack and if your not marking fish move until you do. Traveling should be good on a quad unless we get a bunch of snow. The snow drifts can get pretty big, making traveling tough going. Good luck and be safe.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

xtown icer

• View Profile
Thanks Eyewall. Just ordered some chains they'll be here Thurs. if we have to move to find fish. should I try significant depth change or just a new area. I know a major depth change can be a pretty big move. How early can you buy bait in the area of Catawba?

fishinjared

• View Profile
is the ice still intact shore ice and all at Catawba?

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Still plenty of ice at Catawba. Fish being caught there too. Just gotta move along the first crack a ways to find a spot to cross
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fishinjared

• View Profile

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
Thanks Eyewall. Just ordered some chains they'll be here Thurs. if we have to move to find fish. should I try significant depth change or just a new area. I know a major depth change can be a pretty big move. How early can you buy bait in the area of Catawba?
Bait shops open at 5:30. I move anywhere from a 1/2 mile to 2 miles. Sometimes it doesnt take much of a move. I keep moving til I get on good fish regardless of water depth.
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES

xtown icer

• View Profile
  thanks Eye. Now that the limit will be down to 4 fish are there any perch to be had out there as well? I'd hate to drive 3 hrs and be done fishing in a couple of hours if they bite good.

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
There have been reports of perch being caught but very sporadic. I dont fish for perch so I really cant help ya. I fish all day regardless of limit or not. I dont mind catching and releasing. This time of year is best chance at a trophy fish.  It would only take one fish to make my weekend great. Im still waiting for my 12/13 lb eye. Thats what keeps me coming back. Its a very special place thats for sure.
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES

xtown icer

• View Profile
Thought that maybe you might have marked some smaller fish or maybe even caught on by accident.

Vexilar