Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hand Ice Auger Poll

Guest · 29 · 12801

JustNutts

I want to know which auger everybody uses and also howhappy you are with it.

SlabJunkie

• View Profile
I use a Strikemaster Lazer 6in and I'm happy with it. it drills great for me. I have never used anything else. I always hear great stuff about the Nils augers.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:49:08 PM by SlabJunkie »
SlabJunkie

Pro Staff
icefishohio.com

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have the Lazer and it cuts like butter. 6 inch. Never tried the Nils
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I use the Strikemaster Mora 6". It is the best auger for the money that you can find in my opinion.
I have used the Nils in the 8" and the Strikemasters in the 8", and as far as I can tell, it doesn't too much matter what brand name is on the auger, it matters how big the diameter is on the auger. When you get much over 6"-7", you get a little more resistance with hand augers.
Never have caught a fish in Ohio through the ice that wouln't come through a 6" hole.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Strikemaster mora 7 in. Got in on sale a few years back. Found out why, its hard to find blades in 7 inch. 8 in. blades will work in a pinch though.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

fweii

I use to have a strikemaster Mora, but a few year back I started using a strikemaster lazer. What a difference the change made. Twice the holes half the effort. It is more than worth the difference in in cost. This year I bought a Electra Lazer (ebay) can't wait to try it.

JustNutts

Well i bought a LAZER today... and im not happy with it.. I get to the bottom of the hole and it leaves a sharp edge on the last inch or so of ice... And its unable to be pulled out, it has to be screwed out... just not a good design if all are like that. Let meknow if you can pull yours all the way out or if you get those edges like me...

quivr

I have a 6" 8" mora & 8" lazer the lazer I do not like it doesn't cut the last inch I was told the factory blades are from china after you replace them with the swiss ones they will cut great . They just don't make stuff in china like they used to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Thanks quivr for the tip I have an 8 in mora that i struggle with I have a bad left arm so I use my jiffy most of the time when I could get by with the hand auger

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I sure dont miss my old spoon auger. It worked in a pinch but I didnt drill to many holes.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

JustNutts

I have a 6" 8" mora & 8" lazer the lazer I do not like it doesn't cut the last inch I was told the factory blades are from china after you replace them with the swiss ones they will cut great . They just don't make stuff in china like they used to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a bunch! Was wondering if I was the only one with the problem or not. Wont take much to cut the line with a fish on.

Bassnpro1

• View Profile
Never have caught a fish in Ohio through the ice that wouln't come through a 6" hole.

I thought the same thing until I hooked a 10lb channel cat at a farm pond.  Had to drill another hole next to it and bust out the middle to get him out.  Fun times.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
7 in strikemaster mora, bought secondhand at a flea market in michigan.  need to find a younger operator though.  has any one tried that one from jiffy thats 4 stroke and runs on propane?
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Strike Master Lazer, haven't tried Mora because I haven't had to try anything but my strikemaster. I do switch blades out annually. But that's because I like to not because I need to.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
 i had a guy here in delphos that could put an edge back on em, but i think he went out of business.
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Vexilar