Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Keeping spikes?

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I've been thinking about buying my spikes or maggots, whatever you want to call them, in bulk this year to save a few bucks.  500 spikes in the $10-15 range just sounds way better than 20 of them for around $3.50 from the bait shop.  So my question is, how to keep them alive?  I know to keep them in the fridge and to add some bedding for them.  But, do I need to feed them at all?

Salmonid

• View Profile
my bait guys says to keep them near the froster of the fridge where they are almost frozen, says that's the trick to keeping them a while. Anyone else able to confirm this?

Salmonid

A@C

• View Profile

buddachiefer

I split them up into metal Altoid containers in the fridge, I keep it to just above freezing and they last me for months.

jmsteele187

• View Profile

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
They last a good time in the fridge. I always try and take the dead one out. Not sure if it helps or not.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

buddachiefer

I don't feed them but I've been told you can add cornmeal to the container, never tried it though.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Just try fishing more frequently and you will use them up, no need to worry about how long they will last, at least thats my goal!! ;)
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

bassmastermjb

• View Profile
If your looking to keep your maggots for any length of time place them in a ziplock bag, put a couple small holes near the top, roll them up and place them in the coolest part of your fridge without freezing them. The plastic bag helps keep them moist over time and they will not dry out on you. I've kept maggots as long as 6 months without any problems....Mark  

Mark's Live Bait-Tackle And Ammo
7231 ST RT 14
Ravenna,Ohio 44266
330-296-3474 Shop
330-221-5213 Cell
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:32:00 AM by bassmastermjb »

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I've been thinking about buying my spikes or maggots, whatever you want to call them, in bulk this year to save a few bucks.  500 spikes in the $10-15 range just sounds way better than 20 of them for around $3.50 from the bait shop.  So my question is, how to keep them alive?  I know to keep them in the fridge and to add some bedding for them.  But, do I need to feed them at all?

Man that mighty high prices on those little buggers. We sell 1000 counts in the shop here for 12.99 per 1000 for white and all colors.

But to your question, I keep mine at 36 degrees and go through them ever week or two.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:13:33 PM by OIM »

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

jmsteele187

• View Profile
The price per 500, I posted before I actually looked some place else other than eBay.  The price per 20, may be a bit off though too.  It was last last year and early in the morning when I bought spikes last.  I was looking at Knutson's for spikes, they sell them in many colors for the same price as you, OIM.  However, their shipping charge is a bit high IMO.  How much would 1000 spikes in red or hot pink be, shipped to Toledo?

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
The price per 500, I posted before I actually looked some place else other than eBay.  The price per 20, may be a bit off though too.  It was last last year and early in the morning when I bought spikes last.  I was looking at Knutson's for spikes, they sell them in many colors for the same price as you, OIM.  However, their shipping charge is a bit high IMO.  How much would 1000 spikes in red or hot pink be, shipped to Toledo?

Live Bait has to be shipped over night since it is alive and thats not cheap. The Shipping cost would be the same has you driving up to my store if we shipped live bait. Tom and Jim Knutsons are great people I have know them a long time.I think 15 plus years now.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Who needs live bait when you can fish with Micro Jigs and Spoons Candy Plastics..woo hoo. Fall fishing is fun!
Who is getting excited about ice fishing and November fishing? Ice Pro From Ohio is!
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar