Ice Fish Ohio Forum

which vex to buy

KPI · 9 · 4511

KPI

• View Profile
i am looking at a vex talked to some people that say the fl-8 is good enough what are you thinking just wondering not sure if spending the money on a fl-18 is worth it

ice phisher

• View Profile
 Have fished with the 8/12/18/20 and now have spent the last couple weeks fishing and enjoying my 22HD Tri Beam (which I'm beginning to really luv).....The 10ft breakdown in depth changes (instead of 20ft) really give a better interpretation on the dial face.... Buying a vexilar is totally a case of 2 things........Either a price issue.....or a tech. issue...If you want all the bells and whistles (and will really use them)or will they be usless dials that you seldom touch or do you pretty much want to just turn it on and fish as things come your way.....The zoom feature's really can make a difference under certain conditions......same with being able to go from a narrowbeam to a wide beam....Only a couple hundred dollars seperates the bottom from the top.......I've caught ton's on the 8 and hope to live long enough to catch ton's on the 22HD. They hold there value really well....so if you start (budget wise ) at the lower end.....and in a season or so, find you want to move up. You can still get a pretty good return on your investment (provided you take care of your unit) and use that to reinvest in the new unit of your choice......Besides, there will always be some sort of changes to the newest model being released......so you'll always wind up behind the 8 ball at some point.....Hope my disclosure....gives you some insight and I wish you well in your journey.......Either case (lower or higher priced) you'll have a ball catchin fish on your own unit...........Good fishin and enjoy your choice....
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
IMO the fl-8 is fine, I don't have any trouble catching fish on it and have fished with a 20 and don't see how much better it really is.. Seems like you are doing the same thing with more sensitivity.  I like ice phisers post though!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Ice Phisher hit it on the head. It is all about price and features.

The eight is what i used in the walleye video's. The 22 and 20 just have zoom features that i do believe make a differance when fish are tight to the bottom.

You will be happy with any choice you make.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The 18 has the zoom as well. Costs a little less than the 20 and 22. I would suggest seeing the models in action.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I would look into a ice bird before you decide.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

ice phisher

• View Profile
One of my fishing buddy's owns Marks Bait/Tackle/Ammo in Ravenna and sell lots of all models of VEXILAR"S.... so give him a call on his cell (330-221-5213) and take the time to discuss it with him.... Oh yes...one other thing to dig into on anybody's product is service.....And here is where Vexilar shines....Everyone I talk to has had excellent service and turn around times on service work. Who wants there unit in the shop for a month (when that time frame is right in the heart of your ice fishing season)........
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Well i was able to play with the 22 last night.

I see why they call it HD. I was using a very small marmooska jig and it gave off a clear red mark all the way down. I was fishing in 24 foot and it never disappeared.

It has so many features for different applications that it will take me a while to figure out. The split screen with the zoom is awesome and you can pick up a fish right on the bottom.

If price is not an issue than the 22 is the best one they ever made. Hats off to Vexilar on this one.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar