Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Must have lures for a beginner?Help me fill my boxes

panfish_hunter

• View Profile
Looking to get some new lures this season. Fished with a few jigs and swedish pimples last season.My target species are panfish bluegills,crappie,perch. What are some must have lures and softplastics? Jigs spoons etc
Addicted newbie

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
You for sure want some pin mins in different sizes and colors,hook sizes,6,8,10,12,maybe a 14,I rarely go smaller than a 10 unless fish are really being finicky. ;)You can catch all three species you mentioned on these.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:49:30 PM by holehopper »
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
For panfish I mainly use a small 2-3 mm tungsten jighead with a 3/4 inch soft plastic grub tipped with a spike or waxie. Prob have 50 different color combos but gold/red or gold/chart and silver/black and white are my fave combos.

firemedic17

• View Profile
even though I am newbie, I had good success with the custom jigs and spins, rocker, cheki, ratso, shrimpo. not just preaching CJS, just whats worked for me.

kitcarson

• View Profile
hi guys been reading the site for quite sometime always enjoy the posts very helpful. if you need to fill up with lures head to mark's bait and tackle on rt 14 in ravenna. he has everything you need.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Brantner Jigs offer a great selection of panfish jigs and rattle spoons. The prices are fair and the quality is second to none.

You may also look into getting some of the following if you target panfish:
Jack Spoons(Pipe Spoons)
Jigging Rapalas (Small tipped with meat)
Fly Fishing Scuds
Horizontal Jigs (Genz Worms etc.)

Northland Impulse plastics are widely available and can all be modified to meet your needs.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mini Jigging Raps:

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey jon those look like tungstaen jigs , nice collection bud
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
I always use Fiska tungsten Jigs and Skandia Tungsten Jigs for panfish. Both are very affordable for tungsten compared to a lot of other brands. Skandia has some pretty sweet diamond nose tungsten jigs that always worked for me. Also I hardly use live bait with jigs, so check out Trigger X - Mustache worms and Custom Jigs and Spins - Original Finesse Plastic. Both produce really well and go great with the Skandia and Fiska Jigs. I will say though, Brantner Jigs makes one of the best glowing tungsten jigs in the market. The red/glow is amazing.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TUNGSTEN, TUNGSTEN, TUNGSTEN!!  More expensive, but worth it.  That's pretty much all I do for panfish anymore.  But will throw in some smaller spoons as well.  Both rattling and non-rattling small spoons will be dynamite for the panfish.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

panfish_hunter

• View Profile
Thanks for all the information! Looks like I'll be adding some small jigging rapalas and spoons to the boxes.
Addicted newbie

Vexilar