Ice Fish Ohio Forum

hot spot taken

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
You know what makes me the maddest, I introduced a couple of (friends ) to icefishing this year, let them borrow my gear , bought the bait, showed them all the different techniques we use to catch the different types of fish, I even gave them jigs that I made and drove them to all the places around Indy that I fish. They thought it was a blast catching crappie and eyes on the small rods couldn't wait to go back and always gave me hell if I went and didn't call, well guess what, they took off work this whole week to icefish and do you think my phone ever rang or even send a text, hell no. So I call them to see whats up and wouldn't you know it their sittin on the ice catching fish, I asked them why they didn't call , answer was they thought since I already took vacation a couple days this week I wouldn't come out. They might be right  because when I go I don't have the commonsense to go home I'll fish from sun up to sun down even if they're not bitting. After some bitching on my part they apologized, but I'm still pissed, I guess I'll get over it. lol

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Sounds like me and CRV.  ;D
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

overcheck

• View Profile
Episodes like that remind me why I normally fish alone.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Yup, sh!t happens, I take very few to my spots
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
not a good idea to give up your honey holes >:(. when i do get into a bunch of fish, (hasn't happened this year), i don't throw them on the ice. i'll keep them in my shanty, or put 'em in a bucket. pile a bunch on the ice, and you'll have neighbors closer than you like. next time you go back, they'll have all their friends there too. i'm not anti-social, but i like my space. i'll help anyone out, (what lake, area, depth, bait, color, etc.). if you do the leg work and drill hundreds of holes to find a rock pile or tree out in the middle of nowhere that's a fish magnet, the last thing you want is it known to the whole world. basic info is all you need to give especially on the net, (not the 3rd tree to the left, 50 ft. from shore).

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree, that's just wrong, they should have at least called.  I made that mistake before.  I drilled 60 holes over a bunch of fallen trees and invited the 2 guys in the area to fish in them if they wanted.  They were in one of the holes before I even could check it with my vex.  They were catching very large crappies and I struggled to get enough for a meal.  Learned my lesson.  If I have a guide trip is the only exception, then I make sure the people I'm with catch fish, however, I typically don't start with one of my secret spots.  They are a last resort if fish aren't biting somewhere else.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

JustNutts

HAHA ask FireFish how that all works out... :-\ I really dont mind though, Im a good enough person to offer a hole and I can live with what they catch. But there are those exceptions.

Vexilar