Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Oxygen in use while ice fishing

Fisnfool

• View Profile
Anybody that ice fishes, on oxygen? I just bought a 2 man hub style shelter, a little buddy, and other ice fishing gear last fall. No I am on oxygen. I mentioned to my oxygen supplier that I was still planning on ice fishing. He told me that the heater I showed him should not be a problem as long as I kept it away from the tank and hose. He said setting the regulator on conserve so it just fires a short burst of oxygen directly into my nose as I inhale, would prevent oxygen from leaking into the hut. No different then when I cook on the stove at home. Key is to do safety check on regulator, hoses and tank valve for leakage.

He suggested I do not keep the tank outside the shelter because the cold tank could lead to frostbite of my nasal passages. He said to have the car heat up on the drive to the lake and wrap the tank in a blanket for the walk out onto the ice. It should retain some heat because of it's mass. And then the heat in the shelter would be OK. Little Buddy takes my shelter to about 60 degrees F.

So, is there anyone on the site that has actually been on oxygen and still gone ice fishing? Any tips?
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that's a very interesting scenario, I can only imagine that there would be enough natural air flow in your shanty keeping the vents open, going in and out, wind and drafts to keep the parts per million down. I use a little trick with my little buddy heater , the tanks freeze and don't work well ...so I keep my heater up off the ice on a small stand, and also the tank has a wool sock and a pocket warmer inside the sock. maybe you can try the sock trick on your O 2  tank. sock may not be big enough so maybe the sleeve from and old sweat shirt..... 8)   so don't worry lets go fishin....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thats a interesting scenario. It looks like you are doing your homework to stay safe. Hopefully someone has some additional info.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar