Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Gotta tip?

crv423 · 16 · 7672

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Anyone have a tip for the guy or gal just gittn into ice fishing? One thing I always do, no matter what I'm after is to tie a small barrel swivel 12 to 18" above my lure or snap, it doesn't matter what lure you have on the end of your line a fish will not hit a spinning lure.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

OldSailor

• View Profile
Anyone have a tip for the guy or gal just gittn into ice fishing? One thing I always do, no matter what I'm after is to tie a small barrel swivel 12 to 18" above my lure or snap, it doesn't matter what lure you have on the end of your line a fish will not hit a spinning lure.
  X2  Make that a stainless steel ball bearing swivel. They come in dull black also..  My $.02 worth...
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

perchguy

• View Profile

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
 DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW! couldn't resist it. ;D starting out, spend the most money on the warmest boots you can afford. the best tackle at the best time on the best honey hole on the lake won't be as much fun if you're not comfortable.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
My tip would be read up on Ice safety. Then to prepare themself for that infectious disease that wont allow you to drive by bait and tackle stores this time of year without stopping and usually spending money much to the significant others dismay. This will more than likely affect them for the rest of their life much as it does the rest of us.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Go with someone who knows what they are doing.

There can be an extreme learning curve for ice fishing as opposed to soft water. The experienced person can teach tips and tricks,keep them entertained and also keep them safe

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
thanks for the swivel idea, i like it.

OldSailor

• View Profile
Go with someone who knows what they are doing.

There can be an extreme learning curve for ice fishing as opposed to soft water. The experienced person can teach tips and tricks,keep them entertained and also keep them safe

Not only that, but there is the safety aspect to it also. It's much better to fish with someone. If he's bigger, let him go first!! LOL.... ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
is that why they alway's send me first?

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
yes. It happens to me alot also. lol
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
We have derailed on this one now!  But never fish in an abandoned hole with filleted out fish beside it.  It's a decoy for dead holes. 
Seriously though, it's always important to carry a spud bar so you can check the ice out in front of you as you walk out.  If you go thru in 2 hits, it's not safe.
Also, if you run out of bait, you can go to the weeds growing on the shore that have the round balls in the stems.  It looks like a growth in the stem, but actually there are small white worms in there that can be dynamite.  Sometimes they will outproduce waxies or maggots.
For what it's all worth, just my opinion.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

lowellhturner

• View Profile
ALWAYS have a rope WITH you at ALL TIMES. If someone does fall in having to run to your vehicle and drive home to get it ISN`T going to do them alot of GOOD. Also, assuming anyone does "go in'; after getting them out get them to a vehicle strip them down and IMMEDIATELY get them to medical attention ! Hypothermia can be a delayed condition ! DON`T just let them "shake it off"- immersion in cold water often causes delayed heart attacks. And if by chance it`s YOU that takes the "dunking" DON`T argue- go get checked out ! Hypothermia is NO JOKE...

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Buy a Frabill sit-and-fish five gallon bucket and cut about 4 holes in the top of the lid that are about 2 inches in diameter.  You can then load your rods and gear in there without the rods getting all tangled up while hauling out or back on the ice.  When you hit the honey hole snap off the lid take the rods out and snap the lid back on and you have your seat.  Then you can drill holes in the side of the bucket and attach more gear with zip ties to keep everything together in one single spot.  Smaller and lighter is better when hauling gear therefore kids 4 inch scissors work just as well as 8 inch ones.  Finally buy small lure boxes that you can fit in your pockets and line the bottom with foam, hook in your favorite lures so you can see them when you need to adjust the size or weight.  Start with small lures and then work to bigger ones if they are hitting hard.  A dead jigging lure or small action works well on panfish but they will not hit a spinning around lure so make sure your line is straight with little memory.  The new tungsten jigs hold more weight over lead and get down there in a hurry and have better results.  They run about $2-$3 each and are not cheap but the results are great.  If you can only pick one lure go with an ice ant for those are solid producers on panfish. 

Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1. Dry clothes in the car or sled if you have room.
2. Ice awls (Picks) are a small, cheap and important piece of equipment.
3. Go with an experienced angler.
4. Buy a Vexilar.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing