Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice rod

KPI · 10 · 5049

KPI

• View Profile
what is the best rod/reel combo to get for panfish/perch I am jigging a lot and feel like my equipment needs to be upgraded!!!

joewallguy

• View Profile
Just got that Jason Mitchell 28" medium pan fish meatstick. After using it only one time, on some very little and light bite sneaky perch, I am very impresed. I was thinking about adding a good spring bobber like the frabill titanium but Im not sure its needed yet. When I went with just a small jig, I think I needed a spring. With a small rap or spoon I did not. I know I should have a seperate finess rod just for that but not in the budget just yet so a spring added and I think I will love it. I could always pop it off for a bigger lure. Thought the hook setting and rod bend were sweet. I want to put a decent fly reel style on it. Some of the combos at sportsman direct looked sweet. I watch a youtube video or 2 on a few of them rods.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have over 30 ice rods from various makers ( if you don't believe me ask icebucketjohn, he's seen my panfish bucket).  My all time favorites are my Mitchell's.  I don't own any Thorne's, I can't justify that price for the short seasons we get here.  But I don't think you can go wrong with a Mitchell, plus their customer service is amazing!!  And no, they don't sponsor me!!  Hint,  hint!!  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

KPI

• View Profile
hey Joe ,Kenny pace here I am looking at some St Croix rods  I want the best ultra light I can get I will check out the mitchells I am just not sure what to get???thanks for input slabs what is the model you have slab

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D Jason Mitchell meat stick , sweet . ;D

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a couple meat sticks and some perch and panfish rods. Different actions for different lures. In the cold I prefer to change rods, not retie lures. If I could only have one, I'd pick the light action panfish rod.  I love the walleye rods too, but I spend more time on ice panfishing than anything else.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I prefer the meat sticks, I've owned the St. Croix pan fish and it snapped the second time out. I don't want to talk bad about St. Croix because they are my preferred soft water rod, but if I was going to buy a ice rod I would go with a meat stick. That's just my opinion. 
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Curious about thorne bros rods. Seems alot of guys up north like them. Any one have first hand knowledge of them??????
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:05:21 PM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've never used one, but know guys who have. They're like the Loomis of ice rods.  Very expensive, but if I lived somewhere where you got 3-4+ months of ice every year, I'd have them too. But here our seasons are so short, I put that money into my tournament rods and get my Ranger filled with Loomises.  But if you have extra cash, Thornes are the top dog!!

Team Wilcraft!

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
started ice fishing in the 80's and have seen tons technology poured into the sport, but the 1 thing that is lacking bad is the reels, I've had more problems the last few years of reels freezing up and the drag not working. I've tried about everything I can find to prevent the drag from slipping. Most of the reels are from Cabelas and are sold as there ice fishing combos with Dave Genz signing his name to them, to me, they're nothing but junk. I bought St. Croix ice combos this year and so far they have held up. This week will be the proving grounds though. Temps are supposed to dip in the single digits  ;D

Vexilar