Ice Fish Ohio Forum

your "go to lure"

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Everyone has a lure they always start out with when they leave the house, it's what gives you the most confidence that you'll land the big ones or just out catch your partner. Back in my touny days I used to tie on the most ungodly looking lures I could find and then talk loudly to my partner on how good they smacked the bait in my pre-fish runs and just hoped everyone listened and tied one on, of course when we got to our spots I would put my actual go to bait on , then before we headed back in ,we tied our " garbage baits " back on. Gamesmanship , head games , or just an edge on others. For Saugeye, things are a little different than bass, dirty water I use a bait that makes some noise and more visible (glows, pinks, chartreuse ) and on the larger size. Now if the vex shows them looking and not taking of course I change, as the water clears up, I go to smaller baits that make little of no noise but have some flash to it, last year I did best on tiny ice jigs that have a colorado blade on them tipped with a waxie or minnow head. To me you have to have confidence on the lure you drop in the hole or else you don't fish them the same. Haven't packed it in for the season yet, Jeep still loaded with my gear, might toss in a spinning rod& reel just in case the spillway bite heats up,( after the flood subsides)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I used to do that too. Now I'm too lazy and it's too much work to retie. Also I only make my own jigs, spinners, skirts; use only custom painted crankbaits; and all my worms are hand poured by a man in Alliance. So if someone sees one of my lures, there's no way they can copy it!!  :P  :o  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
I have 3 go to lures and they are the same for crappies and saugeye in inland lakes. In order, 3/16 oz. vibe, #2 jigging rapala and 1/8 oz buckshot spoon. Unlike most people, if the bite is tough, I upsize the same lures and fish more aggressive.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well i guess i can share my go to wally lure,  i make these and the fish tear them up.  and my fav   jig
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:14:34 AM by snowcone »
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Evinrude58

• View Profile
My go to lure is whatever was left on the rods from the last trip then I go from there.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
My go to lure varies widely depending on which place I'm fishing for which species, time of year, etc. I fish for such a wide variety of species in so many places is impossible to pick one.

Vexilar