Ice Fish Ohio Forum

need help with ice shelter

buster · 25 · 12881

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Well said slab,but on the other hand MONEY is no object with a name like banker! :P
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Saw guy

• View Profile
Good choice going with the shorter rods. Most shantys/flip overs are not designed to fish longer rods. I have a 2 man clam Yukon flip over. It weighs 95 lbs without any gear. It functions well when set up. Only complaint is that the door is on the front. I would prefer the side. Tough to pull if there's snow or drifts on the ice. My next flip over will likely be an otter.

My Demeyes

• View Profile
I made mine to be roomy and mobile, can use 4' rods and be ready to move in just a couple minutes

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wind is bad  :P     chased my pop up across  mogadore  once. now I use a clip rope so not to have repeat....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I got blown from safe ice to unsafe ice in my Clam 2000 on Indian one year 50 yard ride scared the crap out of me
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
oh crap  :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That had to be a pucker factor of art least 9.7! :o
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

toadfish

• View Profile
Ty,
flip-over with 28" or under rods is the way to go for mobility.  I have a Shappell rover 1.0 that fits in the back of my hatchback.  All gear goes into the shanty, gets pulled to the spot and I use my vexilar FL-20 to try to locate fish/drop-offs.  Moving is is easy as pulling up my lines and moving to the next hole.  Spooking fish is usually not a problem in the waters I fish in winter since they are stained or deep.

Moving in  a hub will require all gear be put away, the hub taken down and all gear unpacked again.  Only under near windless conditions will you be able to move without tearing down.

I carry tackle, electronics, food, rods, scoop and bait.  I use a lantern for light/heat and will carry extra fuel if I plan to be out all day.

Good luck on your decision and on the hard water.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

bassmastermjb

• View Profile
I have brand new Quick Fish 3 hubs on sale for $149..........Mark

steelneyes

• View Profile
I think it really matters what you target.  Panfish tend to be run and gun and sometimes run and run and run.  Working from hole to hole along a flat or break, stumps, weeds etc. seems to be key to a productive day.  Flip over is the best for that. 
I don't do much walleye fishing through the ice, but they tend to roam and can be called in using blade baits etc. Big water where you are allowed to use machines and are fishing a general area, not a spot on a spot would favor a hub style, plenty of room to set up for the day and spread out your gear. 
Frankly, the wind sucks whatever you are fishing in, my 2 man flip over will take off with the best of them if there i no snow and I don't anchor it.
Go somewhere you can check out a few models, and set up and take down the display model.  Then imagine anything that will go wrong or be a pain and multiply it by the cold, wind and bulky clothes factor.  Last but not least, figure out how much weight total, if you are pulling by hand.  Figure on gear, shelter, food, even a minnow bucket if you use one, and any fish you may keep for the day.  About 100 lbs seems to be the point which is tough to pull by hand. 
I went with an Eskimo flip over from Mark last year and we decided to pull the bench seat in favor of a chair since I fish alone most of the time.  Dropped over 30 lbs which made a huge difference pulling, loading and unloading.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar