Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Whats working for you

davek · 13 · 6236

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
As we get later into the season just wondering what everyone is using for jigs and bait. Weve had a lot of luck with rapala jigging raps all season. The panfish are still going for the bright jigs tipped with waxie or mousies. I have switched to a floating jig tipped with a minnow (Pink) and having a lot of luck with the sauger and walleye (caught 3 in half hour yesterday) The swedish pimple tipped with a minnow has worked well but not lately as successful Whats your story and teach a kid to fish

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
The later in the season the smaller jigs tend to work better for gills- I have a good collection of size #14 and #16 gill pills that do the trick.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I will make the switch from waxworms to maggots or spikes here before too long I would imagine. I also like the berkeley gulp maggots, they're small and can't be plucked as easily as live larva.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

JustNutts

I will make the switch from waxworms to maggots or spikes here before too long I would imagine. I also like the berkeley gulp maggots, they're small and can't be plucked as easily as live larva.
So you have good luck with the fake stuff? Ive looked at em several times but havent ever tried them. So if they work i might pick some up. And they wont turn black and die haha.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thy work really well actually, and you don't have to worry about all the shaving getting all over your stuff.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Guy's,

I think we missed a very important technique that Dave has brought up. I have never heard about using floating jig.

Do you use just the floating jig alone or do you put a split shot on it. I have never used the floating jig but i would like to learn more. Please teach us.

Thanks

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I rig what I call a floating jig around this time of year- not sure if it's the same. I have a heavier drop shot set up- typically use a heavier jig instead to get more fishing use out of the rig and above that have another lighter jigs that I tie off and away from the main line so that it floats as the rest of the rig sinks. It tends to work well on fincky fish.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I just started using them this year heard about them from an old timer. once  i mark the depth of the fish i use a small buckshot to set the jig usually 12 - 18 inches off the bottom but have been up to 5 ft. Ill put a slip on above the split shot usually 1/4 to 3/8 of an ounce (I like to use the clip ons because they are easier to change sizes but the also tend to grab debris easier), we deal with  a lot of current in some spots so i might go bigger i try not to drift more than about 15 yards downstream. Tip it with a minnow drop it in and slowly drag the bottom and let it drift back a few times to clear debris from the slip sinker from there ill slow jig or deadstick it and it has been very effective on the eyes  and sauger. It also works well in the summer with minnows or leeches 3 to 4 foot off the bottom casting from shore here i usually deadstick it and have caught jumbo perch,northerns, bass, and even a few crappie on a consistent basis. If you have any questions let me no ill help all i can. Be safe Dave

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Floaters work for me too.  I'll drop shot them off of a 3-way swivel, that way you can adjust your depth without re-tying, and the fish won't feel the weight of your sinker.  I tie one end to my mainline, tie a leader of a foot or 2 one the side for my floating jighead, and tie on a 4-foot section to the bottom of the swivel.  I can pinch on whatever size split shot I want and can also control how far off the bottom I go by where I position the swivel on the bottom leader.

If I don't use this rig I'll be fishing either a gill pill or more than likely a tinmouth torpedo, which is an ice jig I make myself.  It weighs 1/32 oz and the 2 best colors are red/white and chart/green.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
One thing i forgot to mention and was reminded of last year is waxies on head first it does make a difference.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Definately does, same with maggots and goldenrod grubs.  That's the way I rig all mine.  head first allows them to wiggle a little.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Team Mac

We had good luck with the eyes yeterday usins small pimples and rattler spoons...I like to down size as the bit gets tough...I have been doing good up till now that is with genz bugs and diamond jigs...Will be ordering some of them and some gill pills this weekend...Will be getting some size 14 and 16 to fish with till last ice...Then I will be upsizing again and going back to waxworms...For now small with spikes and move it slow...I dont think the quick jigging is going to work so i will go with a slow rise...Also if it gets really tough I will go with a size 20 hook with 2 spikes or a small waxworm...

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Went out today here in Wi, were marking the fish but no bites for 4 hrs. Out of disgust i pulled out a Storm soft jig bait, landed a sauger right away and had a couple good hits. I have also used the Storm swim baits on soft water when nothing else was working with a lot of luck. By the way my 7 year old son turned me onto them goes to show everyone is a teacher on the water. Dave

Vexilar