Ice Fish Ohio Forum

photosynthesis affects on fish

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
 With nothing to do right now I was wondering what the affects of the deep snow and thick ice we have on our bites. As I started reading the mass amount of scientists different theories I kind of came to my own conclusions, the deeper the snow , the thicker the ice the slower the bite.Which is not really a big surprise to most of us who have ice fished for a while. I did find something interesting, pike have a higher tolerance as do perch, where as walleye, crappie ,blue gill and bass are more sensitive to low light conditions thus limiting their feeding and moving around so much. The way they explain it the brighter the sun the more active the fish will be, the predator fish will be more active in the evening after a long period of sun. The pan fish will be active during high sun periods. They say to ward off winter fish kill a pond or lake in the north should have depths of 25' to avoid a big kill, but the more plant life you have in the summer the better you are to a point, if the winter ice last until late march early April all that plant life starts to decay at a faster rate and burns up more oxygen. If you don't agree with me read up on it and come to your own conclusions .

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I claim tp know nothing about the science but do have some observations that seem to work for us.  We are fortunate in that the mississippi is always moving fishing for the panfish seems to be better where there is open running water nearby, some of the sloughs have pockets out of the current 5 - 10 ft deep with 18 inches of ice that is consistently good fishing all season. We also get some nice northerns out of these. The eyes and sauger fishing is always good around the locks and dams where there is good current. If you try to fish areas this time of year that are covered and no current you will mark fish but few bite. The white bass are also slowing down our favorite hole is 40 feet deep with a good 18 inches of ice if it s like last year theyll start hitting strong again about the first of march. Again these are just what seems to work up here and i am always game for a new hole. be Safe Dave

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have noticed that I catch more fish on 3-4 inches than on 8-9 every time and that the HOT Spots move closer and closer to the main lake throughout the season- less and less ice= more fish. However this isn't always the case- never an exact science- but the pattern does repeat itself which why I find myself more excited to fish in  December and March than in January and February.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I haven't read enough of these posts yet but I think I get the general idea...

The reason IMO you catch less as the ice gets thicker is because more ppl fish and more fish get caught!!! The first couple days out they are dumb and the last couple days only a few ppl will be out so they have less choices...
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar