Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice fishing line

OldSailor

• View Profile
With all of the choices in lines for ice fishing, i.e. mono, flourocarbon, and braids, What is a good choice for spinning reels used for panfish and saugeyes?? If one of the ice braids, do you use a leader?? Flouro or Mono??

I've heard that ice fisherman with cameras say that flourocarbon is the only line they CAN'T see underwater. So what's everyones opinion on this and why  ??? This should stir it up a little bit like my question about mousies. LOL... ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

Walleye_Wacker

I have found that braid freezes almost to bad to use ice fishing. Thats what I use for open water but im drawn to flouro on the ice because it sinks and gets to the zone faster where I want to be. There are times where a slower falling bait is needed and I will use a mono line with flouro leader

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I normally use mono with a flouro leader.  If I'm fishing for bluegills, I use a 1 lb line.  For saugeye/walleye I will go up to an 8 lb flourocarbon.  My walleye rods are baitcasters that are spooled with full flourocarbon.  My small bluegill spinning reels that I use only for ice fishing have 1 pound mono or 2 lb mono, depending on water clarity and cover.  I typically will add a 3 or 4 foot flourocarbon leader on the bluegill rods. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Salmonid

• View Profile
as a long time fly fisherman, where the floro fever got started, me or any of my friends were never able to tell any difference by using floro and it costs more, had more slip throughs and seemed more brittle around rocks. so my question to you all is has anyone ever really found a difference in using it??

I just ordered a bunch of Vicious 2 and 4 lb line in the high vis so I can see it better, anyone ever able to tell if this works any better or not? last year I used several name brands in clear mono and all of it really sucked... lots of memory, couldnt see the line, bad knots, froze up etc. This is why i went with the Vicious copolymer line as it has hardly any stretch, no memory issues and is tough as nails ( I been using Vicious on my tournament catfish reels for the last 5 years, swear by it...)

Salmonid

OldSailor

• View Profile
I've been using flouro for most of my softwater fishing, except for surface lures. Flouro sinks, mono doesn't so it's better for surface fishing. Flouro costs more, but I like it for softwater. I may try a copolymer or flouro this year. not sure yey. Anyone else?? :)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Here are some of my thoughts on ice lines
 Ice line Basics

There is also a link to radio interview I did recently on there.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

OldSailor

• View Profile
Here are some of my thoughts on ice lines
 Ice line Basics

There is also a link to radio interview I did recently on there.

Very interesting!! I may just go with flouro or a copolymer. Pleanty of good info! Thanks vey much!! Are you going to try NanoFil ice fishing this year?

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have been using McCoy mean green copolymer this summer and it's the best that I have ever used. It has less stretch than mono but McCoy has a way to make it very soft and very little memory.

We will be giving away there ice line in our IFO team member packs and for free in our online tournament. The winning teams in the Panfish series will also be winning packs.

If you are at the Fin this weekend or anytime they are carrying the ice line and I can't wait to try it. They also make flouro but I think flouro might have to much memory.

This is a great post and I look forward to everyone's input because we all look for good ice fishing line.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
I like to use a flurocarbon line leader.  When I started fishing soft water I started whith clear blue stren. then I fell in love with GoldenStren, Though most of the time that was on stained water. recently I have felt the flurocarbon has preformed better in most situations

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Over the years, I've gradually (and reluctantly) gotten away from mono and moved towards the newer "high-tech" lines. I also moved towards lighter & thinner diameter lines.

Years ago, 6 lb test was the norm for all my old, stick style, hand-wound, ice fishing rods; but 3lb & 4 lb has been on most of my rods the last few years.  This season, I've dropped down even further: a set up using 1 1lb test and 2 lb test line.  (1 lb is Berkley Fireline Crystal Micro & the 2 lb setup is with Berkley Trilene Cold Weather Blue).

Other rods have combinations including Cajun Red and various leaders.  

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:17:31 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

OldSailor

• View Profile
Thanks David and everyone else who has an input. I have been taughjt that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!! I,ve been away from ice fishing for a long time and I joined  IFO and IS so I could catch up. People have been more than willing to offer advice, opinions, friendship, and help. Glad I joined, and be patient, I'll have more questions now that I know where to find the answers!!!  ::)

Vexilar