Ice Fish Ohio Forum

wax worms

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I will be getting my wax worm making kit today in hopes of growing my own wax worms instead of buying them, I am also hoping to grow enough to maybe sell some on the side for some extra income but that is down the road aways.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sweet, I'd be interested in doing that too.  Let us know how it goes.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Did it as a teenager decades ago.  I learned it from an ole' timer.  It was alot of fun.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I  bought a kit from a place in Minnesota cost $31 for food,100 worms, breeding log and container only had 5-10 dead out of 100 the crappy part is putting it in a place that's 70-80 degrees..

Here is the company I got it from  http://waxwormkit.com

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I just order my waxworms and maggots from A & C Fish and Game.  Ships right to your door and high quality local dealer. 330-519-6668
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I wanted to grow my own just for the fun of it but the wife shut me down on that real quick. She will let me do just about anything that I want to do but when it comes to waxworm and maggots she will not let me grow them. Just to keep my bait in the fridge or on top of the fridge they have to be in bait pucks and not in the cup you get from the bait shop. She really freaked out when I brought home the huge butter worms from the causeway after the last mosquito tourney.  ;D
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Mine was the same way when I put everything together the other day said keep it closed and aout of sight.

I have mine on a vent at home since they need a constant 70-80 degrees with a towel over them so far they seem to be doing good a few have made holes in the bedding and others are on the way up the paper hope they start the mothing process soon I will take a pic in the next day or two.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Keep us posted!  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

A@C

• View Profile
250 Waxworms and 500 Maggots 18.00 shipped to your door. If interested call A&C 330 519 6668. Merry Christmas to all.

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Do you keep the waxies in the fridge like the maggots?
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
No I keep the wax worms about 60 degrees with air circulation on them and then rotate them every day.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

A@C

• View Profile
Maggots have to be kept between 32 and 38 or they will turn black. I will also have red and green maggots for a little more money

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
I seem this along time ago but never tried it.

http://youtu.be/diNE-gdnD0g
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Hey Chuck, when you  get those colored maggots make sure you let all of us know. I will be in when you get them to stock up.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
Same here
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

Vexilar