Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Long Underwear and gloves

Banker · 12 · 7332

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Two things that I wish we had better technical advances in are long underwear and ice fishing gloves.

Question one: Has anyone purchased any long underwear recently that was comfy and warm - mine no matter how advanced is either itchy, or pulls on my body hair all day making me feel just not comfy.

Question two: is there a such thing as a glove that can get wet, that still gives you deterity to tie knots, unhook fish, and still keep your hand from getting cold when ice fishing? I have mittens for the trips to and from the car and smaller gloves that I can jig with, cutoff gloves that can unhook fish, and neoprene gloves that can get wet. The only problem is I can't wear them all at once....any new revolutionary gloves out there that you can do it all in?

Thanks
Scott
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:10:09 PM by Banker »
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've found a long underwear from Orvis that's perfect, but they discontinued it.  As for gloves, found none, but I never wear gloves unless it's below zero.  I can't feel any bites with gloves.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Would be nice if someone was to make a combo type glove from neoprene and also have the finger tips fold over so you can have line contact but also keep your hands nice and warm.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I am on the same lines as you on the neoprene. Or have a glove that keeps the finger  prints and palm exposed but puts neoprene and water resistant fur on the back of the hand (where the blood gets cooled and eventually numbs the whole hand)...though about just super gluing fur to the backs on of my hands- then I though of cave men and how they used to have hands like that...oh cubicle....what have you done the hands of men... :)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Look at the Artic gloves from Duluth Trading Company.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
my grandson is a big fan of underarmor. i have no experience with it, but it seems to be rather pricey (paying for the name), which kids like to do. i'm sure there's similar stuff out there as good for less money. they're all comfortable, compared to the wool longies i wore as a kid. really warm, but boy DO THEY ITCH.
  as far as gloves, if i could design the perfect ice fishing glove, i'd be rich. there is no such thing. the various physical activities involved in ice fishing, loading, unloading, dragging stuff out on the ice through deep snow, or glare ice, 35 sunny degrees, -15 with wind--- age, physical condition,(30 years ago, arthur didn't hunt and fish with me). now he's always there even when i'm alone. i take several pairs of gloves/mittens, extras of each. if you ice fish, you're gloves will get wet. always have extras. with a portable shanty, and a buddy heater, 2 or 3 pairs of gloves are enough

Buckeye John

• View Profile
I bought the Under Armor long underwear 2 years ago. It's not cheep but it is the warmest and lightest that I have ever used. I just put on a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt and my arctic armor suit and I'm ready to go. Now getting into my Under Armor is another story,man that stuff is tight!

Minnowhead

• View Profile
UnderArmor and SealSkinz!
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
Under armor "cold gear". Sometime I just wear that with my ice armor suit. Actually I wore that while snowmobiling last night and I didn't event get cold once. 
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I use the uder armour layering system.
Not itchy, very warm & it wicks the sweat that may occur while traveling to your fishing spot and back to your vehicle.

Rebel makes a neoprene glove with slits in the fingers in which you can fold back to expose the finger tips for dexterity.
There is velcro on the back which holds the tips securly in place.
They are in-expensive $10-$15 per pair.
I bought mine at walmart but I have seen them at dicks and gander mountain.

Hope this helps!!!
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

Vexilar