Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Minnow food

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I have some minnows that I have had for a few weeks now and they are starting to die prob from lack of food.

What is the recommended food that can be used for minnows and is there anything besides fish flakes that can be used?

Icetester

• View Profile
Same issue, and was wondering myself. I bought about 15 dozen, the crappie bite has been non existent around my parts. I still have almost 15 dozen left after they gave me about 30. Lol. I've had mine about a month.

A@C

• View Profile
Don't feed them add a small amount of yellow bag softener salt then dont change the water until its really cloudy

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Thanks for the info. But what is the purpose of adding the salt?

A@C

• View Profile
Minnows need salt there supply is depleated dont use table salt

plantguy

• View Profile
the salt will help clean the water. Unless you are changing water minnies have been swimming in their own waste for a while. It can build up to lethal levels. I have well water(not run thru softener) and they seem to do good in that. Not sure about city water. Also I keep them just above freezing. Just my 2 bits on keeping minnies for a long time.

A@C

• View Profile
the salt will help clean the water. Unless you are changing water minnies have been swimming in their own waste for a while. It can build up to lethal levels. I have well water(not run thru softener) and they seem to do good in that. Not sure about city water. Also I keep them just above freezing. Just my 2 bits on keeping minnies for a long time.

Salt has nothing to do with cleaning the water minnows need a certain amount of salt in there metabolism as you continue to change the water it depleats and they die. City water will kill them quick soft water is better than raw well water

plantguy

• View Profile
I may disagree about the salt adding to the water and all. I just know what works for me. ALWAYS looking to learn something new so will check into the salt a little more. I have kept minnies all winter in just regular well water. Best way I did was big plastic tank in end of my greenhouse added some left over floaters (water lettuce and water hyacinth) changed that water once. This year had them in a couple of five gal buckets in root cellar for month and half changed the water 3 times. I could see if you changed water to much how minnies would lose salt as it is important.

ERFishers

• View Profile

Vexilar