Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Taking a kid fishing

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
A few years back I was at a graduation party and I probally had a few too many cocktails in me, but while I was there we was throwing a football around and I noticed this young boy watching us play catch and if we dropped the ball he would run up , pick up the ball , hand it to us then go back to watching. After a while i started to talk to this young man (9yrs old) and asked him what outdoor sports he liked, well fishing was the first words out of his mouth. I then asked if his dad every took him out and he replied with his head down and in a low whisper that ,"my dad never comes to see me"and although not important at all but "josh" came from a mixed family. I felt sorry for this kid and being a father of 3 outdoor minded girls I thought what the heck a forth kid on a fishing trip wouldn't hurt a thing. well "josh's" mom came to get him and I told them both that if you want to go fishing give me a call and we'll go anytime and any place. This kids face lit up like you wouldn't believe. Well fast forward to early Oct. I was out cleaning my garage when josh called ,I've got everything outside and it's 4pm on a sunday. timing couldn't be worse. I sadly told him that I couldn't and promised to make it up and I could feel the tears in his voice when he hung up. I gave the phone back to my wife and she gave me the look of death and said. "how could you do that to him". She was right so i called josh back told him I'd be over in 15 min for a trip to the lake. I got a few poles together made up a tackle box for him picked him up and we fished till after dark with the coleman lantern making that awesome noise in the evening light. Needless to say josh had a great day and when See him today he still talks of that 1 night. Sry so long, but if you ever see a kid who wants to fish never tell 'em no.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Great story and i am sure he will never forget that day.

We have our kids day scheduled so lets all bring a kid who otherwise could not do it.

Very Inspiring.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Took my buddies kid home(Cambridge) for the weekend deer season, his dad had to work all weekend and couldn't get to the woods. Sat. mourning he got to shoot at his first coyote, but missed both shots. Neither of us saw a thing Sat. afternoon. Sun. this old man couldn't get out of bed, so I handed him my best deer gun,(Ithica deerslayer 37) put him in my best stand, and before I could get back to the house I herd 3 shots, went back to the stand and before I got to the stand there he laid, his first buck, and what a nice 8 point it was. Now that is a great feeling, my only regret is he didn't get to share it with his father.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
great story. brought a tear to my eye.can't beat them 37's. i have 2 of them.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
You should of seen his fathers face when he pulled in the driveway, that was one proud father. His father shot his first 8 point(which hangs on his sons bedroom wall) on the same land last year. 2 years ago they stood side by side when the son shot his first deer, a nice 125lb doe. I'm blessed to share these moments with a father and son, and can't wait till my son is old enough to participate in "DEER CAMP".
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Icebug84

• View Profile
Good story Ice Dawg. It's a shame that there are so many children out there who never get the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. My brother and I just took a kid ice fishing today who's father dosen't spend much time with him. The poor kid is fourteen years old and didn't even know how to bait a hook. He wasen't dressed to well and got cold after only an hour or two, but he had a good time and asked a lot of questions. I hope to get him out a few more times this year before the ice melts.
Kyle

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile

Vexilar