Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Nils 6" trekker

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Got the 6" Nils Trekker ordered today. Have the 8" manual and it's awesome but I wanted the one that accepts the cordless drill option. Anyone tried one yet?

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
I broke down and bought a 6 inch nils convertible hand auger as soon as they came back in stock in August. They are well worth the money and cut through the ice  like butter.
Some pretty good videos on YouTube showing how they work. You can  the handle or one wing nut takes it of and hook it up to any 18 V cordless drill and then just stand back and watch it eat ice. Only auger I will ever own again.

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

Green Pea

• View Profile
I am buying the same auger but was wondering which cordless drill to buy. The Milwaukee Fuel seems to be a good choice based on reviews, battery life and torque.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I heard that's the drill to get. I have a dewalt 20v lithium. Hopefully it will
do the job.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
The nils trekker came today thank god. Cut through 14-15" in like 5 secs. Using a 20v lithium dewalt. Drilled probably 15 holes and still plenty of juice.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
.... would like to compare the differences between the Nils Trekker and the Nils Convertible.  One of these days, we'll  hook up on the ice and check each others Nils Augers.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Hey John, I think the only difference is that I can remove or add drill sections according to ice thickness. The concept is that it is packable and less weight if needed. Like if there is 6" of ice, I just need an 14" section for example. I think that's the only difference. Same cutting head. They are both bada$$. And I'm oldddd.  8)

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yep. The BEST hand auger I've ever used in over 55yrs of ice fishing... and I've had all of them.... Eskimo, Strikemaster Mora & Lazer. 

Used it last Saturday in 14" of ice.  Man what a easy way to drill holes..even by hand.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar