Ice Fish Ohio Forum

If you fish for bluegill.......

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Since I've been laid up, I've had some time to poke around the recesses of the internet. As a fisherman, I'm interested in learning about the fish themselves. Knowing their habits, biology, and makeup. This is as much or more interesting than a fishing article to me. Knowing the fish makes you a better fisherman. To that end I found a very interesting book. Bluegills: biology and behavior. It is available at www.fisheries.org. You'll need to type bluegill in the search window in the bookstore for it to come up.  It's on sale now too!  I saw it referenced a while back in the in fisherman ice annual but forgot about it. I love to bluegill fish thru the ice and I'm learning a lot. For instance I didn't know when a fish swims thru the water it leaves a wake that a bluegill can detect up to 5 minutes after the fish has passed. Very interesting reading, I highly recommend it to other bluegill fishermen.

P.S.  It's just an interesting read fellow bluegill anglers might enjoy, I get nothing from any sales of the book.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:40:55 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
what i wanna know is how to keep the dinks off my hook and the big bulls on. 

be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

riverrunt

• View Profile
I like big bluegills i cannot lie!!Looks like an interesting read.Have you ever been to bigbluegill.com lot of interesting articles/blogs about gills.I love seeing  those 2lb plus gill pics.I like to fry some of them bad boys up every once in a while .My profile there is same name(riverrrunt)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:41:38 AM by riverrunt »

jmsteele187

• View Profile
what i wanna know is how to keep the dinks off my hook and the big bulls on. 

Keeping the dinks off isn't that hard.  Use a camera and bigger baits, that the dinks can't bite.  You may catch less fish, but you will catch bigger fish.

Vexilar