Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ATV or Snow mobile

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I know most ice fisherman in Ohio who use a powered vehicle use a ATV. I would like to get something and was wondering what everyone thin ks between the 2 if you could choose.

I would not use a atv in the summer but would use to plow my driveway. A snowmobile would seem like it would be fun to drive on the ice.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OldSailor

• View Profile
Rather than an ATV, I would vote for a UTV side-by-side. You can carry more in the box on back and still plow with it!! Just my $.02 worth!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Snowmobiles are fun if you have a buddy to ride with you.  Kinda like a jetski or motorcycle.  ATV is nice to plow or hunt with. Tough to plow with a side by side. Seems like if you go the snowmobile route you end up traveling to Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin to use the things. Especially if we have a mild winter.  At least with an ATV you can drag firewood, plow or drag dead deer! My 2 cents 8)
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i'm with minnowhead  on this. an atv would suit me better for those reasons, but they cost as much as a used truck, which i need even more. if you shop around, you can find a used sled pretty cheap. just be sure you can use it where you fish. you can't drive anything on the ice in pa. i've been told you can't drive on any lakes in the muskingum watershed. also, atv's need a sticker to ride in state parks and public land. the state's broke and they've got their hand in your pocket. be a good boy or they'll get deep in your pocket.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i was thinking of using trying my golfcart. if the snows not to deep it might do ok
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Bryan

• View Profile
ATV, they're better for pulling!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Guy's,

I will be using an ATV this winter from our new sponsor. Ohio Cycle Motor
Sports in Columbus. They are a small Cycle shop who finds used ATV and makes sure they are in good working order and then resell them at great prices.

Here is there link.

Please Let them know you are a member from Ice Fish Ohio.

http://www.ohiocyclemotorsports.com/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:54:01 PM by davidhoheisel »
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

Bryan

• View Profile
Don't forget your tire chains!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I would go ATV more things you can do with it throughout the whole year.  I would stay away from the tire chains and go with the cold cutter screws that you can drill into the knobs of the tires.  Then you can remove them in the spring and back to the regular tires.  I have tried both and like the cold cutters better.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
hope we get enough ice to support more than just foot traffic.
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

g

• View Profile
i like my snowmobile. use it mostly on erie & haven't been stuck yet & itgoes over cracks better. i built a rack to carry my 1 man shanty so i don't wear the plastic sled out by dragging it.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the good points guy's!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
Hey Dave. I would look at UTV. You can use them for everything. Im getting a new one this year and going to get it street legal. I use my snowmobile for ice fishing all the time, but what I dont like about it is it sets around for 6 months.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i've been thinking about tricking up a riding mower. don't need a licence, insurance, etc. not a motor vehicle, so you PROBABLY can use them in states that don't allow driving on ice.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
A snowmobile is better for the ice hands down, key is fan cooled... A liquid cooled sled needs snow to run on and a fan cooled can run on straight ice... A sled also is more weight spread and can go on thin ice and can even cross water if need be. They are also fun to ride with friends like said with friends like a motorcycle. I bought one in June and can't wait to get on it. Like said atv have advantages for year round use but are way more expensive so it's a tough game lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar