Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Scent

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Alot of people use scents during the summer on their artificial baits.  Do any of you try them in the winter?  I picked up some Kodiak scent to try this ice season. I've never tried it, but think it can't hurt. ???
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Had not thought about it much but guess thats why we use minow heads on jigs. may work with other scents I must consider.

pete12

• View Profile
ive used it during ice season, but honestly cant say if it helped....but i know it didnt hurt....lol

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I use a lot of the berkley gulp alive fish fry. The scent seems to bork good on days when I cant get them to bite on uncented plastics. I also want to try some of the kodiak paste this winter. I tear up the bass in the summer using smelly jelly so I may look into there scents also.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Like Tim I started using the brkely gulp this year with a lot of luck. 2 seasons ago I was fishing first ice with my buddies we were on white bass  and they were limiting out in a couple of hours I was lucky to have a fish or two on the ice. I had read somewhere that rubbing salt on your hands does something to attract the fish. I tried it and my production went way up. I was the one to always handle the vent on the auger though I was careful I am sure I did get some gas on my hands which is suppose to be a turnoff. Ironically all of my fishing buddies smoke like chimneys which I always thought was a turnoff. Does anyone have any thoughts on this Dave

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Scent for me is very important.  I always try to have some form of live bait on my line.  If I can't, the Berkley Gulp really is great stuff.  Sometimes if you want just a little taste and a maggot or spike is too much, here's a little trick I use for livebait.  Most of the time there are weeds around the lake, and if you pay attention you can see some round balls on the stems of some of the weeds.  If you break them open (pliars, nutcracker, etc.) there is a small worm inside.  I've had days when that is the only way I'd get a bite.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Here something to think about. Have you ever notice that when the air gets colder you smell things a little better. That because the air is thicker and smell move slower away from there source but stay stronger.

Now think about the fish world. The water get heavier has it cools and things will stay suspended in it longer when the water is cool. There for so will your scent which means the fish can smell and taste better.

So to answer your question yes scent can be very important during the colder water periods I think it is more important then in the warm periods.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

Vexilar