Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 01:49:36 PM

Author Topic: spill way action  (Read 2195 times)

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
spill way action
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:57:18 AM »

With the ice season on the down fall in the weeks to come don't forget to pack your spinning rods with you, some of the best river fishing for lunker eyes happens below the spillway from now until late may. Last season we hit some wall mounters early in the morning and late in the evening. It gets kinda cramped up in there sometimes but nothing like the maumee. If you are going to wade there is a pretty good size hole just west of the bridge , when the water is flowing over the wall steady it can be in the 6-7' range. We have caught several limits in the past with the average weight being over 4lbs. Bring plenty of jigs and different weights , heavier with fast flows and lighter with calmer days. You will see hundreds of tiny shad all over. I know some of you drive quite a distance to fish so if the ice is not safe for you in your hot spot this gives you an option to still fish and have an opportunity to land a hawg.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: spill way action
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »

One of my favorite areas to fish! Also bring some original rapalas or rogues.

There is access on both sides of the river right at the spillway with parking for 5-10 vehicles in gravel lots. You can also park off the side of the road at 33 to hit holes between 33 and the spillway.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake