Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2-6=2011

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Morning bite was good out on the humps in 13' but only lasted a few hours.  After the bite died three of us split up and searched.  Found them again on the deep railroad bed and limited on 9-10" crappies.  Also caught 3  6-7" perch today.  Crappies caught on Jigginshadraps, Vibe's and micro jigs w/spikes.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Great Report Saugeyemarc!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Nice work.
You've been hammering them over there.

ducks6868

• View Profile
i would like to go out wed. any tips on where to start

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Well if you want to get into fish in provern areas from this year, here they are.  1 Off the boat ramp from the wall to the first pilings east to west and about 50' north of wall out14-20' deep.  2 OUt the mouth of the marina 150-200' bearing slightly south east.  15-18' flat.  3 the road bed running directly north of boat ramp.  4 line camground point and snoopy dam.  Water tower east and big cove west.  This area is a long double hump one in 10-15'  and one in12-18'  Both have stumps and boulders scattered  Crappies with chance of eyes.  5 the north side of the dam parking lot all the way to the cove past the crabil house.  40-100 feet off band 10-20' depths.  6. Along the dam you'll catch crappies suspended and tip-ups have a chance at scoring an eye  These are areas I've personally fished and caught fish from so far this year.  If the snow hasn't messed them up you'll find previous holes from the past week.  If the snow has look for rough areas where holes were scooped out.  Electronics will be a major help when fishing.  You'll see the fish follow up from the bottom and sometimes you'll work the fish from 20' clear up till 8' before they bite.  Sometimes you'll move inches and they hit.  On bigger baits you'll feel a tap much like spring walleyes.  Sometimes you'll see alot of slack line or on your screen you'll see a fish rush 2'3' up above the bait fast.  They have swallowed the bait and are going up because they saw something else above it.  Use a a lift drop and settle holding baits inches to a foot from bottom unless your going after suspended fish.  Then jiggle the bait let it settle for a count of 15 then jiggle and slowly lift up. If you see fish on the screen watch the reaction.  If no electronics lift as high as you can reach, slowly and you can't climb to slow.  Keep a second rod in another hole rigged with micro jigs and spoons.  size #14 hooks are best.  Rig with spikes.  Keep two of hese on a line 8-10" apart and set a foot of bottom.  I lay it on my hole scoop handle and put my foot on it to jiggle it occasionally.  This sem-i dead-stick method produces many fish and it's good to use when fishing slows  The pattern most morning is tA few fish are taken before daylight sets in on tiny glow jigs.  Soon as daylight starts getting into the area switch to Jigging raps, large spoons and bladebaits.  Fiertiger, perch glow, and copper have been excellent producers.  When the hard bite slows around  noon switch back to micro and slowly work thm for the last few fish.  Come evening the reverse to morning.  The evening may start at 4 or as late as 6pm.  I've already had several days when you'll get a fish as fast as you can drop the bait for half an hour htn the bites slow.  Other times it's just waiting for schools to move thourugh.  You'll get 5or 6 fish then wait for ten or twenty mins.    If your going in the morning give a spot 30mins and move if not gitting bit.  You shouldn't have to move to many spots to find fish this year.  One other thing I've noticed is if your getting small fish most of that school will be small.  But don't move cause the next school may all be 12-13"rs.  You'll find a good mix of keepers comeing through.  more often than you'd think.  I've alo found that the areas where brush has been dropped the past couple of years holds mostly small fish but if you move a dozen yards you may find keppers roaming the bottom.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:35:36 PM by saugeyemarc »
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
The cover we placed CAN "influence" 5X it`s actual volume during the winter; as you have stated, most of the bigger fish will probabily be on the deeper edges of it...even though most cover went in 8- 15 fow, some have undoubtably "migrated" deeper...

Vexilar