Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Feed Back...

lowellhturner

• View Profile
 Hello! My name is Lowell H Turner, am 1 of the "Friends of CJ Brown Reservoir", we are doing the "Lake Erie South 2+" project there. Was impressed with some of the posts; haven`t managed to get out much so far due to various reasons. Is any of the deeper cover producing? Specifically, the ravine E of Crabill House (#8A and B, 20- 25+ fow) the N side of the RR bridge embuttment N of the Campground (#3) the gravel bar NW of the Marina (#18 series) and the  area just S of the S corner of the mouth of the Emergency Spillway, about 85- 95` from it (#9C, 20 fow 30` offshore). Lastly the remains of the old RR bridge due W of the NW corner of the Camper`s Point. Have origional 1964 Army Corps survey maps of the whole lake we are using for the project. Will say too we are still looking for help when the weather improves to assemble, load and place another 300 in approved spots; you feedback HELPS us to do a better job for the following yr...as said we are looking for help LATER to get them ready to place. Thanks and DO please give us feed back...

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
fished the Crabil house and snoopy dam areas around your brush.  Was loaded with 6-8" crappies, small gills and a few perch.  Caught 50-80 small fish with occasional big crappies mixed in.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Next to nothing is coming off cover? Hm. Saugeye Marc, do you have any suggestions where the cover might do any good? And yes, you`re correct the main reason for it`s placement is as baby fish factories, especially the yellow perch, forgive us but we want their #s to start to climb upwards again, along with the `eyes and crappies. What`s the biggest walleye you`ve gotten/ seen this yr so far? Would LOVE to get out with you guys soon; alas my POS vehicle went down in a cloud of engine oil smoke...

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
I didn't say nothing was coming off them. But you have to go through alot more little ones to catch keepers. The keepers are hanging outside the brush but close enough to use as a starting point.  As I told one of your guys you need to drop brush south of the campround point between the two long humps that run north to south in the trough.  another area would be the east west roadbed on the north end.  lastly the point west of the boatramp before the curve would be a real good spot as I catch perch there after ice-out and seems to be a spawning area.  You guys are doing a great job and alot of thanks are due to you for what you've done.  Already the quality of crappies has gone up and I'm sure the C.J. will be known as a perch lake in years to come.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

skally

• View Profile
Mark and lowell
I believe that some of the brush needs to be placed in the 13 to 18 foot range during winter pool. This would make the piles still fishable for quality fish during the summer months also and utilize deeper water for warm weather fishing during summer pool. I know from bass fishing CJ during the spring summer and fall the structure is defiantly helping with fish quality already. I would love to help with the tasks involved in helping to make this lake a great inland fishing lake. I agree with mark on his areas. I would also like to see more brush placed out from the south end of the beach towards the south point along where the old buoy line used to be. There should also be more structure placed between the new ramp and the first bend to the north outside the Marina. I would also think about the north end of the lake just around the campground point. The water is only about 15 feet deep at summer pool. This is a very good bass spot and there are some spots for walleye back there also. I hope this helps and mark I will see you Saturday and we can discuss this while we enjoy some great fishing.     

lowellhturner

• View Profile
 Gentlemen, will try to get out, where are you parking at? When? Will bring some 1964 Army Corps survey maps that may be of interest to you both; keep in mind they are unfortuneately becoming somewhat fragile due to age...as far as the crappie #s and quality, a large part is due to the current size limits and reduction of daily keep #s from 50 to 30, plus a very healthy shad bloom; hopefully the perch population will begin to climb also...definately would gratefully accept any assistance on our "project"...

lowellhturner

• View Profile

Vexilar