Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2-12-11

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Well checked out the area between dam and beach.  Slow.  Caught 14 keepers crappies and another 8 on the roadbed.  Walleye still showing up when they want to and don't seem to often but I have'nt done tip-ups or night fished in two weeks.  Enjoyed the company this morning sorry we didn't get on another big school.  Going out the campground beach tomorrow at 6am and go back where the schools of big fish have been roaming.  Anyone's welcome as always.  It's a mile hike so bear that in mind.  With the warm weather coming we may be down to the last week or so.  For anyone not wanting to go the distance there is still fish being caught on the roadbed north of the boatramp and 100-300 yards bearing left out of the marina.  12-17 has been best but have taken fish all the way to 25'  If you don't know where the path to the beach is I should of given directions a while back.  Blame the brain.  From I-70.  Get off on the Route 4  X63 go West (right from 70E and left from 70W.  Go to 1st traffic light Bird rd.  Go right or North.  Take to deadend.  This is the boatramp.  (since ramp itself is closed you must go right or left.  Go left for boatramp parking if your going to the roadbed.  Go right for Marina and campground.  Watch for sign if you want the marina the road is on your left.  If your going to the campground just stay on the main drag.  Watchout for the deer and turkeys they cross anytime all day.  After you pass the entrance shack keep going.  You'll pass a couple of roads going left but your looking for dumpsters surrounded  by gray fencing with an open field behind.     There will also be a road going right with a building and  playground.  Anyways behind the dumpster is the path going to the right that leads to the beach.  When you get to the beach go right where the ice dam isn't 3-4 foot tall.    You can go left and 1/4 out you'll find hmp that top at 5' and the southern side will go to 15'    Go straight and you'll find a flat about 1/4 mile out in 12-15' of water.  Head right toward north end of dam and you'll find humps, the old railroad tracks and the river channel.  This requires  at least a mile and more.  Latly go straight out of the campground point down the bouy line which are still out there and you'll have 15-17' and mall bottom changes.  alll these areas are producing and see alot less traffic.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

Jawjacker12

• View Profile
That is alot of good information. But 2 questions what are you using for bait? And how are you fishing? I will be out in the morning.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
I'm using 3 different baits.  Early VIBE and Rapala Jigging Shadraps tipping the shadrap treble with spikes, waxies or minnow head.  The VIBE needs nothing.  Either bait I rip up a few times or until fish show up on my Vexliar.  Inbetween rips allow bait to settle then slowly lift while barely jiggling the bait.  I've brought some fish fifteen feet off the bottom before they hit.   Most hit before you come up 4 feet.  When the action slows or I see they'll no longer take the big baits I go to a diamond jig and a gill pill both with #14 or#16 hooks  and color has changed daily but glow and firetiger seem to be steady colors.  Put these about 8 inches apart.  Drop to bottom and treat them like the VIBE.  Also good as deadstick make sure the bottom bait is an inch off bottom since there are a few big perch around (thanks pete)  Hope this helps.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

Jawjacker12

• View Profile
Thanks Pete, that is awesome information. i will be out about 6 in the morning and i am going to start by the boat ramps and beach area. Hope to see you there to thank you for the info.

fshman_165

• View Profile
I wish I had figured the perch bite out quicker. I would have had more than the 11 keepers I left with. I stayed till 7 pm. It never got hot but it was steady. I had one perch go just shy of 12 inches. I wont be able to get out till later this week. Looks like the Ice will be gone with this weather forecast. No problem..my boat sits ready in a heated garage. I have never winterized it..just sits ready for our warm spells during winter.

Vexilar