Ice Fish Ohio Forum

CJ 2-15-11

fshman_165

• View Profile
Hit CJ and ran the area off the old Boat ramp first. Caught 41 Crappies and 5 perch on a hard bottom flat in 16 ft of water. The bite died about 3:30 pm. I moved to another of my favorite softwater areas and found few fish. It was about 4:30 when a friend joined me (Saugeyemarc tipped him off that I was out) We decided to hit the foundation west of the old Buoy line. We absolutely slayed the crappies. We pulled fish on each drop down for about 1 hr and 15 mins. All really nice crappies and I had a Walleye break off just shy of the hole. The fish were still hitting when we left. Ice was still great. 8 inches of clear was the thinnest I found. The edges were solid.

Crazy4Smallmouth

• View Profile
Let me just say this.... cj was on fire today. About 120 crappie and half were keepers, 9.5 to 11.5". All returned to the lake to grow bigger. Half were on micro jigs and wax worm the rest were on small jigging rapala in silver/blue crome. They were all over the rapala fished bare, no tipping with waxies. I hate to see the ice go away. My best day ever on the ice! By the way, I didn't see anyone else out and the ice was still 7-8" and solid to the shore.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Just to let you know...your phone call prompted me to drive the whole 2 miles to CJ and fish from about 4:30 to 5:45. I chose an area with brush, right next to the breakwall on the main ramp..the fish were jumping on anything you dropped down to them. At one point I turned off my Marcum. I quit counting at 38. I only had 7 that were 8 inches with most if the fish running 11 and a few 12s. They got bigger as it got later. They were still hitting when I left. Jr ran out to the foundation, and had a better bite than I did. He had 2 fish break him off. He never saw them. The average crappie he was getting ran about 12 inches. The Ice was still 10 inches and solid everywhere I poked a hole.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
I too went to CJ around 3:00 pm Wed. and did not see any one on the ice and saw plenty of water on the ice out from beach. decided not to fish.  Sounds like I got there too early!

lowellhturner

• View Profile

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I will finally be down this weekend!!! Coming down saturday to meet my sister at the airport coming back from her job on the cruise boat. I may fish saturday evening and def sunday morning if safe ice is available and I really hope it is! If not I will fish the marina LOL Anyone else going?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Crazy4Smallmouth

• View Profile
Hey OhioFisher,

I stopped by the lake today on my way back from Columbus and it doesn't look good. I think the ice is finished, but that is my opinion. You would need a ladder to get out on the ice at this point. Everywhere I looked, the ice along the shore was gone. Soft water for about 3 feet everywhere and the ice looked bad all over the lake. It was a dark color and very porus with open cracks everywhere.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Dam! I am not risking any of that!!!! Not for some crappies anyways. Are they still fishing indian?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar