Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Bass Islands

jumpy · 42 · 21506

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
The fishing has been very slow. Water is looking better every day. The
fish seemed to be moving more today. We are on about eight inches of good ice, very rough driving however. Any day now.
If you jig it they will come!

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Is it safe from Catawba to the islands by snowmobile or Quad?
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

ledhed

• View Profile
:oNot even.It is a rare year when you can do it safely.I might be showing my age but we used to drive cars back and forth many,many years ago.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
:oNot even.It is a rare year when you can do it safely.I might be showing my age but we used to drive cars back and forth many,many years ago.

It was 96 or 97 and we took snowmobiles out and then followed our guide from PIB thru what must have been a mile of slush or worse to the the north side of Kelley's. I was in high school or fresh out but the look on my fathers face was priceless  :o
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I would not recomend going across unless you know what your doing and even then it is very risky. Yoiu can fly over or take the airboat and hook up with a guide where the ice is safe.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

jumpy

• View Profile
It is very slow fishing...still.

g

• View Profile
My buddy that lives in Marblehead said the ice at Catawba is 12 - 15 in. thick near shore. He went out about a mile on a snowmobile & the ice is 8 - 10 in. thick. He didn't fish any, the ice was really rough & hurt his back too bad. A few airboats were out a couple of miles and caught some fish. I don't know how many or how big the eyes were. Need some rain to smooth out the ice. They are supposed to get rain later in the week. When  I know more I'll post it. Might try it this weekend.       

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Keep us posted G and be safe!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

walleye bonker

• View Profile
Hope to make it to the Island this weekend; check out the ice, do some shanty prep and maybe freeze a line or two.  Will make a post after the trip.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Keep us posted and please be safe.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

hearttxp

• View Profile
My buddy that lives in Marblehead said the ice at Catawba is 12 - 15 in. thick near shore. He went out about a mile on a snowmobile & the ice is 8 - 10 in. thick. He didn't fish any, the ice was really rough & hurt his back too bad. A few airboats were out a couple of miles and caught some fish. I don't know how many or how big the eyes were. Need some rain to smooth out the ice. They are supposed to get rain later in the week. When  I know more I'll post it. Might try it this weekend.       

And it is posts like this that will get someone KILLED ! Hard to believe when one of the local Ices Guide posted that ice was 2.5" to 8" 

jumpy

• View Profile
Last night when I left my shanty near Green the ice was 11" or so.
Water was clean, fish were not on a bite as a matter of fact everyone was moving around looking for a bite.
The Hard Water Charters is the only safe way to get a crossed from the mainland. It is not wise to cross the channel. A fool and his machine soon go separate ways.

walleye bonker

• View Profile
Lot of open water flying back to Port Clinton yesterday, between South Bass and Catawba Point.  Ice did smooth out quite a bit with the rain and warm temps Friday and Saturday along the west shore.

jumpy

• View Profile
Fished for about an hour and a half today on a bucket. Ice was about 7",water was mostly clean where I was at. The current however was kicking. I caught one, blue and silver #7.
A lot of marks, they should get on the bite any day now.

Vexilar