Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Erie eye rods

fool4fish · 27 · 14663

fool4fish

• View Profile
Hoping some more experienced Erie anglers can weigh in I'm asking what rod action n power I would want to use for big eyes baits on Erie of course action n specs change with manufacture and price but I intend to fish 1/2 oz jigging raps up to 1 oz pimples wondering if anyone has specific models they use as a go too I'm feeling like a 28-30" frabill bro series would be a good model for the price just a little worried about med action when I'd b using 7/8 or 1 oz baits like to be 60$ n under range thanxs in advance
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

g

• View Profile
I use Jason Mitchell medium action walleye rods, 28 & 30 inchers with no problems. Also use a medium action ugly stick. I use #5-#7 pimples and jigging raps. Had good luck last year with 2/5 oz. little cleos.

fool4fish

• View Profile
Thanxs g that puts my mind to rest was worried med might not cut it
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

g

• View Profile
I also only use 6 to 8 lb. mono on my reels. I know many people use braid but I have good luck with mono, clear Trilene or Stren.

Saw guy

• View Profile
I've also been looking at a new Erie Walleye setup. Has anyone used the Fenwick Aetos rod, or the Pfleuger 6920 reel? If yes, what are your thoughts?

quackpot

• View Profile
I had my first taste of Erie ice last season and just used a medium action rod with 8lb. mono. Hopefully after this year I will know better.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I am a big fan of the pflueger reel,I use one while ice fishing on Erie and also on my st. Croix eye-con rod for open water fishing. I trust the reel to be there for when I need it,never had an issue with it yet,as with anything follow manufacturer guide lines and a little maintenance you will be good for many seasons! P.s. my pflueger presidential has also reeled in some monster Canadian Northern to!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I love my fenwick elite tech's...
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Saw guy

• View Profile
Thanks for the input guys. What are your thoughts of the medium rod with fast action?

Green Pea

• View Profile

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have always used the Jason Mitchell Walleye Rod and reel combo. I like the 28 for inside the Shanty and the 30 for bucket fishing. I use 12lb on mine but will be trying the new Ice line from Gamma. I will keep you posted on it when it comes in.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Saw guy

• View Profile
I'm a big fan of the Gamma line. Put 6 lb test on a couple of my rods last spring. A strong polymer line, with less memory. Great product. How can I get a hold of their ice line?

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Johnny what line and line weight do you use?

Trilene 12lb is mostly what I use because we get the big spools and basically every reel has it. It does the job, gets kinked at times but I can't complain. The line gets beat up and handles it well. Gamma makes awesome line. If I had the money and felt like re-lining I would probably do the Gamma 10lb/12lb.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Green Pea

• View Profile
Johnny what line and line weight do you use?

Trilene 12lb is mostly what I use because we get the big spools and basically every reel has it. It does the job, gets kinked at times but I can't complain. The line gets beat up and handles it well. Gamma makes awesome line. If I had the money and felt like re-lining I would probably do the Gamma 10lb/12lb.
OK and Thank you. I'm hoping to get up there this year.

Vexilar