Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Erie eye rods

fool4fish · 27 · 14664

Garyoutlaw

• View Profile
Not trying to hijack the thread but had a similar question for those in the know -

Wouldn't a MH graphite blank be better suited than a standard Medium for fishing such heavy baits ?
 -My thoughts are that the lighter tip would constantly be loaded under the strain of lure & dull your hook set .

g

• View Profile
A mh rod may work better but I don't own one to try it. I have good luck on my hook sets with my medium action rods. The mh rods may be better in a shanty where space is limited for your hook sets.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a few of each. For the heavier 1oz and up lures, I prefer mh. Can feel the bait better and the tip doesn't flex so much and you can present a bait better. But I like a medium for the mid size baits such as 3/4 or under. Hope that helps.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
For years I have used the St.Croix premier 28" medium light. I rarely fish with baits over a 1/2 oz. I had Stuart Manning at Ace Custom Rods make me 6- 28" medium rods and a 36" medium to my specs and they are not a real heavy medium. His 28" rods are right at $60 and I highly recommend him to make you a custom rod for Erie. I find that I have to downsize when it's a tough bite and these rods will fish a # 3 jig rap and not loose any feel and have plenty of back bone for solid hook sets , 10# braid to about 2 feet of 10# flauro Carbon connected with a power swivel is my line set up. The no stretch in the braid also helps to sink hooks deeper into the super hard mouths of Erie's monster eyes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:29:01 AM by Eyewall »
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

floater99

• View Profile
I got a 24 med st Croix last year eclnt shanty rod and plenty backbone for hook sets for a lite rod being use to med hvy rods.I use a med hvy to pound the bottom and stir thimgs up.I use 12 lb brd with a 3 ft 10lb floro  leader.Shimano,lews,garcia reels.

Bryan

• View Profile

I use a couple homemade rods made from old Abu Garcia reels, old full size poles...shortened and JB Welded together.
My mom's is the shorter one, stiff as hell and rarely does she miss a bite.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Now if you could only catch some fish on those buddy ! They sure are nice rods. ;D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

g

• View Profile
Nice rods Bryan. I use my share of recycled rods too. In the process of making one out of a broken Diawa Strikeforce rod/

Bryan

• View Profile
Now if you could only catch some fish on those buddy ! They sure are nice rods. ;D

Thanks! Now if I could have some frozen Lake Erie I would! LOL!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Bryan

• View Profile
Nice rods Bryan. I use my share of recycled rods too. In the process of making one out of a broken Diawa Strikeforce rod/
Thanks g! Gotta make do with what you got!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

g

• View Profile
Amen to that, Bryan. Some of my best rods have been recycled rods.

fool4fish

• View Profile
Started the post but hadn't really checked on it I ended buying the Fenwick aetos 30 mh fast action really nice and feel it will handle the 3/4 oz plus baits also bought a 28 mh Fenwick hmg n was very impressed with it for the price
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Vexilar