Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Inline ice reels

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Looking for positive and negative feedback on these reels.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I tried a couple different kinds last year.  Didn't like the cabelas or the clam. Ended up with 2 of the eagle claw reels. I Like the freespool feature. Pros. .. no line twist or coils, they are compact and comfortable to use.  Cons... Don't really have any. They take a little time to get comfortable with but I like them. I mainly ended up using them for panfishing shallow water. Have them on clam 18 inch spring bobber rods.  They are great on Indian. I still mainly use my spinning reels for deeper water or dock fishing.

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Thanks for the info 30. Definitely would use for the picky panfish middle of the year. Gonna have to do some more homework on them

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Wish you would have asked a month ago. I sold a bunch of fishing and hunting equipment I didn't use any more and it included some inline reels. I would have given them to you to try out. Oh well if you are like me it's never too hard to buy new toys

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Haha thanks bud, I have no problem buying new toys. Still trying to figure out which ones I want to try

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile
I bought a CGI inline reel last year and used them for bluegill.  I was very happy with it and am going to get a few more for on my walleye rigs.  Takes a little getting used to, but I was pleased with it.

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Thanks Lee, I'll check into them. Where did you purchase yours at?

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile

Downthehole

• View Profile
I bought a Clam and Eagle Claw to test them out this year. Haven't used them yet but the Eagle Claw free spool feature is good (from tests in the garage).
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Thanks Lee. I'm gonna go check them out this week Andy, thanks for the info

quackpot

• View Profile
I use the cheap ones and haven't had any issues, except not getting into the big fish pot at the first dock tournament last year. If you hook big cats keep the drag loose so they can make runs easier.

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Lol quackpot, frabil and eagle claw have some for around 20-30$, still looking and doing homework. May just stick with my pfluegers!

eyeshunter

• View Profile
I will put my 2 cents in on this, I use an eagle claws inline reel. It is great for pan fish and I like to use tungsten lures on this with max 4lbs test.  The extra weight from the tungsten lure helps the line stay straight and not get as much slack. It is similar to using a bait caster where you need a little tension to keep the line and spool from backlashing and bird nesting on you. It is quick and easy when you get the hang of it, but you get a little anxious or don't pay attention, the line gets out and it's a pain to get it untangled. It's all about preference and willingness to work with it.  Good luck in whatever you choose and hope to see you and the rest of the guys at some dock tourneys and ice fishing days.

Steve

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I think they work well is shallow water. In deep water of the docks it seems to take a long time to get  light jig back down quickly. They do reduce line twist.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Thanks for the info guys! Still doing some homework, got one coming from Amazon that was on sale so I'll play with it a little bit

Vexilar