Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Inline ice reels

LeeinOH

• Niles McKinley #794
    • View Profile

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Picked up a frabil straight line off Amazon that was on sale. I guess I won't be sure of them until I try them

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sorry I'm late on this, but I've tested the Clam, Frabill, Eagle Claw, and 13 fishing (black Betty and teardrop reels). The teardrop are my favorite, unfortunately also the most expensive. They're best for spoons and mid weights. For gills the clam with the eyelet are my favorite. The frabill reels are smooth, but sometimes the line gets wound around the shaft us there's slack. Then you have to take the spool off to untangle the line, which sucks when it's freezing and your fingers don't work. The eagle claws aren't bad, just not as smooth as I'd like. If I could only have 1 for bluegill and crappie I'd pick the clam. But it has to be the model with the line guide eyelet. The ones without it are not as tangle free. Wanting a tangle free reel is of utmost importance when you have cold fingers and super light line.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Thanks for the info slabslayer! I'm still debating lol

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
13 fishing has just come out with a new black betty with a 2.5 retrieve instead of the 1.1 it also has free fall and a trigger release,a little pricy110.00 you can see it at fish usa
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I like my old betty ,
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I saw that fast ratio, but didn't pull the trigger on one yet. That's a lot for an ice reel. Especially this year for me. :)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• View Profile
about the same as I paid for the teardrop.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nice reviews & product info.  Thanks guys.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
Love and appreciate the feedback guys! Still not 100% sold on them yet but we will see!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just reeleyez...2x
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

toadfish

• View Profile
I got a Frabill straight line 261 last season and have not used it yet.  I plan on mounting it to to an HWI flat line rod to use on shallow bluegills and crappies.  The reel has a fairly large arbor which should help in reducing coiling and should not cause jig spin.  I have sight fished and have witnessed fish come screaming into a bait, then stop when it starts spinning while being jigged.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

holehopper

• View Profile
I tie on a micro swivel 3ft above above the jig or pinmin,seems to help with spin.

toadfish

• View Profile
Some of the water I fish is only 3' deep, otherwise I would consider using a small bb swivel.  I have found fish are sometimes more focused on hardware such as split shots and swivels than a lure, even with live bait.

My 261 in-line has a 2.61 ratio and a reel nice, smooth drag.  It also has a free spool mode for getting baits down deep.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

holehopper

• View Profile
Thanks for the info slabslayer! I'm still debating lol
yes I have a inline that was always getting tangled as well,i took a piece of spinner shaft wire and made a small loop in one end and then drilled and glued it into the reel body for a line guide,works fine now.

Vexilar