i used a fl8 for four years and just bought a marcum lx7 this year
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I didnt know there was any other brand then Marcum.  ;D I have a Marcum LX-9 and a Marcum LX-5. I like when im in my shanty and I dont have to listen to my flasher hum all day. All I hear is the drag on my reel from the fish taking line and the water splashing when I get the fish to the hole. ;D
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D I have a Gander mtn (Marcum) and a showdown pre marcum . I prefer the Showdown ,it's so easy to use and understand . I do like and use the Marcum.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Flashers are nice,but i also have a showdown and they are much easier to use,they are good down to a half inch of bottom seperation,so effective you can see the whiskers! ;D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I have a FL18 but saw a Marcum in action last week boy those are nice.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have an FL-18. I love it. I also like the hum, some guys hate it and can understand why. I grew up with it, so the hum brings back good memories.  The Marcum is a nice unit too, I demoed one a couple years back. Either way can't go wrong!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Thats what I like about the new Marcums (LX-7 and LX-9). You can chose between flasher dial, showdown vertical display or graph mode. You can run multiple displays at the same time as well. I like to have both the flasher dial on the right and graph mode on the left of the split screen. I dont know how many times Ive looked away for a few seconds and when I looked back there were no marks on the dial or showdown display but the graph showed a mark came through when I looked away. I also like to split the screen between the graph on the left and 2 showdown displays on the right. Ill have 1 of the vertical displays showing the full water column and the other being in zoom mode. Either being zoomed in on the bottom or zoomed in up in the column where schools of fish have been coming through. I didnt think I would like the graph mode because the only graphs I have used was open water. The graph on the 7 and 9 shows my real small panfish jigs very well. I have either used or been around all the different units on the ice at one time or another and I think the new Marcums are by far the best unit on the market right now. Having the choice between which style display at anytime you want is really nice. The only thing else I would like to see on the unit is GPS. I would never use it to get me to my spot but would be nice when Im at my spot to plan out where im moving to next. I would much rather use my delorme handheld gps hanging around my neck when moving from spot to spot then carry a heavy flasher in front of me when dragging my sled around. But no matter what brand flasher you have you are better off then not having any. It would be hard for me to go back to the old days of fishing without. I have had trips out when I was over a half hr. from home and realized I forgot my flasher and turned around to go and get it and just be late getting on the ice. I could leave my wallet or cell phone at home and not go back for it but no way am I going out with out my flasher. lol

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I have a marcum and its alright, its the cheap one but its pretty tough and does the job...

My Dad just got a brand new hummingbird ice-45 for 99 bucks!! It is pretty awesome and I'm a little jealous lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

g

• View Profile
I have the vex fl-18. Have used it for 10 years or so. I like the zoom feature on it, wish it was adjustable like the marcum bt I deal with it. I leave the zoom on all the time.

deerslayern

• View Profile
I like how the vex unit is, has anyone know or has expierence any probs with the humminbird units or the showdown units not sure which unit I want to buy
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I had an Eagle silent sixty for years, it was anything but silent. I still have the unit and  it still works perfect. Then I moved on to an FL-8 for a year and had problems with the transducer and then gain selector. I was able to return both units @ Cabelas. I then purchased a Marcum VX-1 and I love it and still use it. I often take my young daughter Ice fishing and the flasher intrigues her, so I bought a showdown (first Gen.2009) for the ease of explanation of what’s going on under the water and she loved it I even took it while she was at school, and one cold day in 2010 the LCD exploded during transport. I called Marcum/Showdown they knew of the issue and were in the process of making the heated LCD screen. I really didn't want to deal with it freezing if the battery was dead or I didn't hook it up, so I took a refund. This year I bought the LX-3 and I really like it but, it's not really necessary for Ohio water. For the money the VX-1 is the best! and its made in the US!
But really the flasher debate between Vexilar and Marcum is a Ford vs. Chevy debate. take'em for a test drive before you buy.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I have a showdown and love it,very easy to use,understand,and operate,also comes with nice full insulated case to protect it during transport! :)
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wow after seeing hardwater junkies new marcum i am in awe, ....i love toys , and that is PRIMO...... ;)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I think the Marcum vs. vex debate is more like a Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 diesel, chrome stacks, trucker girl mud flaps with a 12 inch lift and 44 inch super swampers vs. puke green aqua Geo Metro. You will always have the few guys that would prefer the geo metro over the f-250 but everyone knows that those guys aren't quite right if you know what I mean. ;D

Vexilar