Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tip up advise !!!!

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Tried the today . I either didn't get a bite or it was a light bite . No fish on shadow lake today

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
tip ups, i love 'em and hate 'em. they're a good tool to have if you're gonna be out all day, but if you're gonna move very much/far they're a waste of time. if you're gonna fish a particular area for an extended period of time, (creek channel, point, sunken island etc.) set them at different depths, and if you get a lot of flags in a certain spot , move and start jiggin there.
 they're used mostly for bigger fish, but i've caught crappies, gills and perch on them. i'm old school. never used the ones that hold a fishing rod. something about fighting big a fish without a flexible rod and a drag... just your arm, is fun to me.
 i spool mine with black tip up line, easy to see on snow and ice, pound test doesn't matter. add a barrel swivel, 2 to 4 foot mono leader for the fish you're after. beads or spinner blades above the hook won't hurt.
 check them often, in cold weather your holes will freeze quick, and if a flag goes up, you don't want to chop your tip up out of the ice, costing you a fish.(don't ask me how i know). hope this helps.

fishingful

• View Profile
I agree with the above. Best times I have had running tip-ups have been when fishing for gills in shallow water (gives you something to do while waiting) and close to deep water catching bass on them for fun. Nothing like a day of one going off and running to the next one after you just set that one. BTW they are always the furthest ones apart.

Chilly willy

• View Profile
Thanks for the advise will have to try them out

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Another lil tip, put the smallest red and white plastic bobber on ur line once you find ur depth . The fish won't feel it and you don't have to reset ur depth after every bite. I also put bells on my flag poles so if you don't see it you'll hear it. Good luck.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Vexilar