Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Palm Rods

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Back by popular demand I will be doing a seminar at Marks Bait And Tackle November 10 from 7 to 8 PM put it on your calendars
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sweet!   Will you be doing the palm rod rigging again?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Sure
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!   Thanks!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Got a question. I found a tiny little 16 inch rod from gander mt. It came today but looking at it I'm not sure if a spinning reel will be the way to go with it. There are only 3 eyes on it and even the one closest to the bottom is really small. Thinking maybe a trigger spin? Or I've seen some other types of ice reels but never tried any. Any ideas?
By the way I really like the rod. It's gonna be a blast to panfish with. So little.lol

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I love tiny rods and the only rid that small I was successful in pairing with a spinning combo was with a very small spinning reel. I reccomend the tight line extreme reel on this or an old schooley reel ...sportsmensdirect just released a new and improved side winder type reel that works extremely well with this style of rod ....actually I've seen that combo more times than not on the NAIFC trail contenders favorite list https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/search/search_key:Side%20Winder%20Reel
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I give a surprise favorite inline reel of mine as option 3 then let others chime in http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/icefishingreels/no-8-tackle-code-blue-inline-ice-reel/
For some reason this reel ended up being my favorite of this style and would be alright for a 16 but not as optimal as options 1 and 2 below
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
This video is a result of this forum thread and more particularly the comment asking for a video showing how to rig a palm rod. Sure there are others online to source done by close friends of mine...but theirs didn't come with the Banker twist...techno! :)

https://youtu.be/XhIpbhiKsts
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

quackpot

• View Profile
I use inline reels on my panfish rods. I have some that are close to the rod and some with the longer bases. I don't seem to get a lot of line twist with them.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In line reels are all I use now on my pan fish rods. Got hooked the end of the winter of 2013-2014. I love them!   No more spinning jigs because of line twist.  They are also more comfortable to fish with for me. I like the longer base because I can palm the spool then and have better lure control.

Team Wilcraft!

Salmonid

• View Profile
as sensitive as these are, I assume they work best for in shanty use since outside with our 40 mph winds ( the norm here in the Midwest) would be hard to detect a strike. also if your sitting right on top of the hole do you have any probs seeing your graph or do you just have to tilt the screen a lot so you can see it at the same angle through your rod like we do with a normal rod, does that make sense? also I can see this affecting my back for long periods of time scrunched right over the hole, just a thought, Ive never tried one but might get one as a novelty to playwith.

Thanks, see you guys tomorrow at the docks..
Salmonid

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Banker knows more than me, but until I actually get outside with them it's hard to say. But after putting line on them and seeing how they are set up, I'd think in shanty use unless it's calm. As for the hole situation, I was just going to slide my shanty forward so I can sit on my padded seat and not kneel or squat or hunch over. My Vex FLX-28 has a 6' cord so I can move the unit back from the hole if I'm right on top of it using my Palm rod. That's just how it is going in my mind at this point, having never used one before.  But I've used the short Jason Mitchell sight fishing rods, which are similar length to a palm rod and that's what I did with them and had very good results.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I received mine in the mail today. I can't wait to give them a try. The back already hurts so what the heck. Maybe I'll just take another pill and not know it.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Banker is the frabill black ops palm rod any good? Just curious

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
i ordered one it came broken, I ordered a second and it broke within 2 days. Then I contacted them directly and reported the issue. Needless to say I modified my second broken one to fish it just to see if it was close to the palm rod experience and it is just to bulky and clunky for my liking which is why I don't classify these as true palm rods as they don't easily fit into your palm :) Sportsmen's direct came out with a similar hybrid palm with the traditional palm reel but with a working rod w/ blanks option (custom build add on with a 4 stage epoxy) that i feel will better serve the tweener market that Frabill was trying to tap into without getting too far away from the original intent of a palm rod which is a small and controlled presentation for the lightest bite on the toughest day in North America...or every day overseas :) http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/palm-reels-rods/palm-reel-sport/
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Vexilar