Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Discoloration in the water.

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Fished C5 today from 1:30 pm to 7:00. I started drilling holes on the left side (road side) and the first thing that I noticed was that the water was stained real bad, kinda had the color of tobbacy juice. Kept drilling holes looking for some depth and was working our way south when after about the 6th hole, the water cleared up. Fished in the clear for a bit, then moved back into the cove a little bit and hit the stained water again. The reason that I ask this, is that the last time that I fished C5 was about a week and a half ago and the water did not have the stain to it. Am I wrong and it's always been this way and I'm just loseing my mind?  Oh, we caught a few dink gills and about a dozen crappies, but none were keepers.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
When the weeds die off they decay and turn the water brown.  They die shallow first, that's why it cleared up deeper.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Thanks. I would have thought that they would have died off alot earlier with the snow cover that we had for such a long time. Guess they can hang on for a long time.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Also, the influx of road salt will cause the weeds to die off and road culverts inflo will bring muddy water into the rez too will be factors adding to stained water conditions.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes, John makes a good point too.  The road side of bay C-5 has been brown and turgid for a while.  It was starting to make its way to the middle of the bay, but the melt and rain of week before last was enough inflow of oxygen to rejuvenate the weeds out in the 5-8' depth range.  Otherwise that whole bay would probably be junk and turd brown by now and totally unfishable.  But that influx of oxygen brought the fish back in and saved it.  They had left for a short time before that, for a week or 2 before the warm up nobody was getting anything in C-5.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar