Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Shreve Lake

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Checked Pleasant Hill see post below for that update, any how shreve lake is almost all the way frozen up few open areas by the drain and far side of the lake put my vex down in a opening on the dock to see what I could find and there was nothing. Anyone ever fish this lake?

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile

plantguy

• View Profile
Shreve is a nice little lake.  Sometimes you can catch a lot of fish gills crappie tons of channel cats. Over the years I've noted that every other year the pan fish are good.  Gets a bunch of pressure from folks that keep everything so size on the gills is small.  I have gotten 12 in crappie but most run small.  Not my first choice for ice in the area as I want bigger.  I will go there just for fun. Bunch of stumps across from boat launch. Pond by swimming pool in Loudonville can have good gill.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Thanks for the info plantguy I didn't know that into about the pond in loudenville I will prob take my boys to the smaller lakes when they freeze till they get use to being on ice. Shreve wouldn't be my first choice if I wa by myself either I have never been out on any of the bigger lakes up north but sure can't wait to do so.

plantguy

• View Profile
Just got back from checking Shreve lake. Yikes thick enough to fall thru.

bigbob

• View Profile
i personally steer clear of shreve lake. too many bad outtings there. had no idea of the pond in loudenville though. public?
fish ON!!!!

plantguy

• View Profile
Pond in L'ville is open to public. It is by the public swimming pool and park area. Land on the far side of picnic pav. is private. Small pond about 3 acres or so old ditch channel in it. Lots of weeds many times you can watch the gill down your hole take the bait. My boy and I fish it just for fun.

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
shreve lake is the first lake i graduated to from farm ponds. 30 years ago, it was one of the best lakes around. the bluegills were huge. the crappies were scarce, but the ones you got were giants. a guy got one on a tip up that wouldn't fit through a 6 inch hole. always had good ice.
 i haven't fished there in years, but i've heard that it's nothing like it used to be, due to a number of reasons which i won't go into here.
 also in that neighborhood on rt. 3 is a good sized lake i've seen people fish on----round lake church camp comes to mind. i can't say it's public for sure, but the last time i was up that way when there was good ice, there was an awful lot of people ice fishing for a private lake. hope this helps.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I am sure that lake is private on SR 3 I can't remember the name of the camp off hand either.

Vexilar