Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Cleats

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I am wondering what everyone weres or what a good pair of ice cleats are?  I am not looking to break the bank n these, I have looked at cabelas,bass pro,walmart and kmart an have seen several that look nice but can't put my finger on any given set to purchase please help me out

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Ok here is the trick.  Get some real good insulated boots like Red Ball Boundary or Lacrosse and then drill cold cutter screws into the bottom of them and you will be set to go.  I always wear cotton socks because if I wear wool and my toes touch the front you don't get the right air circulation.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Ok here is the trick.  Get some real good insulated boots like Red Ball Boundary or Lacrosse and then drill cold cutter screws into the bottom of them and you will be set to go.  I always wear cotton socks because if I wear wool and my toes touch the front you don't get the right air circulation.

Were does one get these kind of screws? I have never heard of them

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I like the cheap ones with the rubber straps that are in the arch of your foot. Although I am pretty agile and walking a little goofy doesn't bother me. The expensive ones that cover the whole boot my Dad has and I have worn some too. They are easier on the foot but I'm a budget kinda guy! lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
If you PM me I will send you more than enough in the mail.  Free or send me a buck for the shipping.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
If you are only using the boots for ice fishing then screw in the cutters otherwise you can go strap on cleats but I found they are more work then reward.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Fishin 2

• View Profile
HT Enterprises makes an economical set, sold @ Walmart for about 7.00. If ya wear large boots, sz. 12-13, get the SGT 2 size. These creepers don't have heel spikes but will keep ya upright and believe me, it only takes a second to bust your noggin. It's no fun tryin to fish with a knot on the back of your head and it's throbbing. These come off your boots real easy so your not walking in the house or the store with cleats on, they get a little pissy !!!! ::) Mike
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I like the cheap ones with the rubber straps that are in the arch of your foot. Although I am pretty agile and walking a little goofy doesn't bother me. The expensive ones that cover the whole boot my Dad has and I have worn some too. They are easier on the foot but I'm a budget kinda guy! lol

I like the same ones.  Simple and last forever.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wis2ohio

• View Profile
The walmart here in holmes county doesnt sell ice gear kinda sucks so I would have to order them off line the ones I found online one is the full boot, a combo pack cleats and hand picks

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
the wallmart in mansfield had some if you make it up this way.
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have a pair of the sandal style with hex style screws on the bottom made by HT.They are just like the stablicers but only cost 20.00. I have tried all of the other types and they all hurt my feet after a while. The only other kind that I liked were the yaktraks with the coiled springs on the bottom. I like a cleat that covers the entire bottom of my boats so no matter how I step I wont slip
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Have the yak trax and the Ht Enterprise and like Yak  Trax better  :o

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I still say put the cold cutters in and you are done.  No straps and the time to take them on and off.  Up to you I used to have those strap ons and just too much time and effort.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I would have to imagine it would take the same amount of time as a commercially bought pair. You still have to take your boots on and off at the lake. You cant have studs in your boots when you go in a bait shop,gas station or elsewhere as it will tear the floors up wherever you go
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Tim  I was thinking the same thing. ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar