Ice Fish Ohio Forum

PLANKING

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
ok,the shoreline is gone,you still have good ice on main lake,you put your plank down and go on the ice.Now,do you pull your plank onto the ice or leave it where it is?some nit wit could come by and take it leaving you stranded.I'm thinking pull it on the ice.Your thoughts  ???
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I pull mine out with me. I don't carry it all over if I walk far, but don't want to return to some prankster having lifted it. It comes out on the ice a good 50 feet from shore so nobody can get near it. Also on smaller lakes I don't want it floating off if the ice shifts and I need to get off elsewhere.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I have had to run like crazy and slide across and hit the dirt.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

crappiehunter

• View Profile
what size plank do you guys use? I have yet to ever use or need one but I'm thinking I better make one just in case, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it haha

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just have a 10' 2x10 I got from Lowe's. I just throw it in the bed of my truck. Had it for years and still works great, just regular wood, not the treated stuff.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

steelneyes

• View Profile
Ha, Planking, has it's own definition for ice fisherman :)  Just think of what the social media world would think of our definition compared to the craze of a few years back  ;D
I'm with Slab.  Usually, literally when it comes to planking.  Same thing, 2x8 or 2x10  make sure you put enough of it on shore so it doesn't slip out from under you.  And if it takes more than a 10' we're done.  Also make sure you are going on from the side of the lake the wind is blowing into so if the ice moves, it moves towards the shore.  And I won't do it if I know the water is deep enough to be a problem beyond wet legs up to your knees or so.   Carry extra clothes too, just to avoid a wet leg on the drive home.
I've left them without problems, except if you go home and someone has used your plank to get out you can strand them which isn't good.  But losing a $10 hunk of wood is no big deal in the larger scheme of things.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Saw guy

• View Profile
Well guys, I've heard quite a bit about planking, and I love ice fishing. My thoughts are, if I need a plank to get out on the ice, then the ice is melting. My plank might not be long enough by the time I'm ready to get off the ice. For me, it can wait until next year.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
slide baby slide ;D ;D ;D   its not over yet...........its over when slab wont go out anymore  hehehheh :D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's right!!  ;D  I'll be back at it next week until it won't hold me up anymore! !

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar