Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Panfish or Walleye/Saugeye

Poll

What type of fish do you target most during the hardwater season?

Panfish
15 (55.6%)
Walleye
3 (11.1%)
Saugeye
6 (22.2%)
Bass
0 (0%)
Other ( let us know what it is)
2 (7.4%)
Perch
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Im curious to see what all of you normally target during hardwater. Please vote then tell us where you normally fish and and what you fish for most.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Mine was a tie b/t pannies and eyes but I love the eyes so thats where it went lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Im a panfish guy 98% of the time. The other 2 % of my time is normally spent getting skunked on the toothy fish. I would like to get out with a few members that normally target toothy fish so I can learn what im doing wrong. lol
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

pete12

• View Profile
Saugeye, walleye, crappie, perch, then bluegill. In order from most targeted to least targeted for me!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
When I can get out on Erie and the ice sets up that is what I aim to do and have the most fun at.  Until then it is local ponds and lakes for panfish teaching the little ones the basics on ice fishing.  They always say bright colors on sunny days until my 4 year old was hammering bluegill on a purple moon.  Switched to dark colors and by golly the kid was right.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

perchguy

• View Profile

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I fish for eyes about one in every four trips. I generally target Crappie.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It depends on the timing.  I live near Berlin and it's usually boom or bust, a very streaky lake.  The walleyes move in big schools, and when a school is in an area accessable from the ice, I target that.  But I voted panfish because I'm normally after the crappies.  When work's slow I can get out several times a week, and usually only one or 2 trips is a walleye trip, mostly always panfish, with a bass pond thrown in a couple times a year.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Dave fishes for what ever Kroger has on sale that week.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So he'll be going after tilapia this week? ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
I did catch Tilapia in Findley this Fall in a former pastor's pond.  He had put 30 in in the Spring and I was fortunate to catch Six in one day of fishing. of course I had to catch about 50 1 lb bass to get six.Lol!

MDBuckeye

• View Profile

wormdunker69

• View Profile
Perch, yup I get them thru the ice here.
I used to think that drinking was bad for me so I gave up thinking.

OldSailor

• View Profile
Mine was a tie b/t pannies and eyes but I love the eyes so thats where it went lol
X2  Should have allowed more than one selection. Makes no difference if we don't get ice ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

g

• View Profile
partial to eyes & perch. last year was mostly panfish since not much was happening at indian.  this year should be a better year at indian judging by the saugeyes being caught now .

Vexilar