Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Arctic Express Auger Question?

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
I was just given a 6" Arctic Express Auger. It needs new blades. The ones that were on it were Mora blades and are in bad shape. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? I bought Lazer Blades because Auger is black without reading the tag and will have to return them. Any help?
Thanks
Suttalo
"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

steelneyes

• View Profile
Maybe they were the standard "blue" Mora blades?  Several listed on the bay for $15/ set in 6", auger appears to be an older one if it is black, buy 2 sets if you intend to keep it and you are the same price as one set of mora blades.  But the HT ones may be Chinese stainless which is about useless.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile

I put the 6" mora back on and will test it today. I'm going to order two sets from HT today.
Thanks for the help

steelneyes

• View Profile
The Mora's can be sharpened, if you look through old posts here you'll find that if the inside edges get bent from being dropped on end or bounced on the ice, they will walk all over and not cut.  Make sure you have a blade cover or fab one up out of something.  They will cut anything they touch when new, but it doesn't take much to dull them.  Plus with 10+ inches of ice everywhere it will be a hell of a struggle to drill with dull blades.  Guessing if the Mora blades work, they will outlast the HT.

BTW plastic coffee can with a small elastic bungee works as cover in a jam, new one is $15-$20 by the time you buy a cover and blades you can have a new 6" for another $20

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
Ok. Doesn't look like the mora blades work. Honestly I don't know if this is a 5" or 6" auger. I'm not sure of the correct way to measure and HT customer service won't return my calls or emails. Can anyone tell me the correct way to measure this auger, so I can just order new OEM blades?
Thanks

steelneyes

• View Profile
6" is much more common than 5" that being said, it is the outside diameter of the blades when mounted, if the 6" mora blades are sticking way out from edges of the "screw" part of the auger it is a 5".  Knowing all that however, had a chance to look at the HT blades in person, the only ones they had were 8" and they are made in China.   You are probably better for all of the trouble to buy a new mora or eskimo 6" for around $50 with brand new blades cover etc. and be set for a long time.  I've had my 6" for 10 years.  A few new sets of blades, now they are now up to $30 to $40, for $20 more you get a new auger too.

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
Thank you. I actually had the mora on backward haha.
The 6" will work just need new ones. I want to use or atleast keep the auger for sentimental reasons, it was my late brother and it was given to me. Mora 8" is a real work out right now :)
Thinking I want a power auger next.

Vexilar