Ice Fish Ohio Forum

When to fish a Perch pattern for Eyes

Garyoutlaw

• View Profile
When do Walleyes typically target Perch as a food source & how do you exploit their Predatory nature?

g

• View Profile
Walleyes will eat small perch all year long. Depending what other forage fish are present may influence when they target perch. This past summer, there was a pod of walleyes feeding on perch at Erie in June or July.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I'm not convinced that a specific time exists. I believe that like most predators walleye are opportunistic hunters and will feed on whatever is most available and presents itself for the taking! That could be anything from other fish to invertebrates to crustaceans etc. Best thing to do while targeting walleye is to switch baits frequently until you find the golden ticket for that moment,walleye can turn off or on in a minute,when you can't get them to bite switch up,not just bait style but size also,sometimes going smaller is key. I saw that first hand on Erie last year.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
eyes will eat almost anything, i notice when I'm perchin and i see a school of perch under me then disappear chances are there is an eyes(s) ....and sure enough i will hook up on mr. eye, then the perch return...today out of wild wood the perch were belching sand fleas and minnows ....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar