Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Deer Blind

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a deer,turkey blind as a ice shanty?They look like they would work,easy to pop up,light weight,has windows,probably have to anchor it down,throw it on the sled instead of plowing through the snow with a shanty,I have 2 ice shelters,but am seriously considering this,will wait for some input befor i decide ,thanks holehopper  ???
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I will be using mine during the tournament on Nimi in a few weeks. I have heard they work just fine just need to have an extra hand when putting them up so they don't fly away also need to anchor them down so they don't grow wings while fishing. Also keep heater to a minimum so it doesn't melt anything.

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
Yes, I just used my Double Bull 360 for the first time on Kiser Lake Monday. It worked great. I used screw in ice anchors to secure. I just put a small hammer in my pack tonight for next time. They are a little hard to start by hand.
I'm 6'3 and 220lb and my son it 5'11 260lb and we had plenty of room in side.
The only down fall I see is moving it around. Set up time is fast I had one side that keep popping in from high wind, but I tighten up the hub pressure and...no problem.
It will defiantly work till I get a portable with a solid floor like I want.
"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

kensar

• View Profile
I used mine and it worked great. Make sure to anchor down. I can use it for hunting and fishing saving some money

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I am sure they will work fine. Just anchor them good.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Green Pea

• View Profile
Hey hole hopper, that is what I use. Here's a tip for anchoring it that "fshman_165" showed me.

Cut a hole in the ice about 10 feet behind where you plan on putting your blind. Slip a short piece of PVC down into the hole that has a rope run through it. It will act as a wedge in the ice and go no where. Tie the rope to the back of your blind and pop the blind up. You won't need anyone to help hang on to the blind while you finish anchoring the other sides because that bad boy isn't going anywhere.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Used mine today on pleasant hill lake and it almost took off on me so make sure you have stuff to hold it down. I ended up using my sled,auger and shovel

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the input,tips,and advice guys :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Pondfin@ic

• View Profile
I saw a guy use one at George Rogers Clark Park several years ago. A gust of wind came through and it ended up about 30 feet up in a tree. So definitely plan on anchoring.

Vexilar